64 | death

Amelie
________

I'm dreaming. I must be.

This world looks like a fairytale. Green and yellow fields that don't seem to end anywhere, they're just forever spreading on and on. The sky is the bluest color I've ever seen, full of birds of all kind from sparrow to beautiful white doves.

I'm standing in a tall grass and when I make one step forward, the ground below me feels so soft that if there wasn't a small country house a few meters in front of me, I'd throw myself into the lawn and stay there all day long.

But I'm sure this dream has a meaning besides just laying around, which is why I decide to walk to the house. It's the only building far and wide. A little cottage that doesn't seem to have more than two rooms with a small but cozy terrace. The white brick walls are covered with green ivy spreading almost to the roof. To add to all, there's a smell of roasted chicken coming from the windows. This is the best dream I've ever had.

I walk up the three small stairs leading to the door and raise my hand to knock, but I don't even have to. The wooden door suddenly opens itself. It shocks me, so I make a few steps back before I decide to stick my head through the door and examine the inside.

I was right. It's just a one bigger room with everything that a single person needs. On one side, there's another door leading to the terrace and a living room with one cozy sofa, fireplace and small library full of books. The opened bedroom is only consisted of a single bed with soft looking white sheets and a bedside table with cute lamp. The kitchen is on the other side with dried herbs pinned to the walls and small window with floral pattern curtains just above the sink. It's so small that only one person fits there - and that's a blonde woman of a smaller size whistling and washing her hands in the sink.

She doesn't know I'm here because she's turned back, so I fake cough until she looks at me. I panic.

"Oh, finally! I've been waiting for you the whole day!"

When I realize it's my mother, my mouth gasps open. She's exactly how she looked like in my dreams - young and beautiful. She's wearing a white light dress with puffed sleeves, perfect for the country vibe this dream has.

What surprises me the most is that she doesn't look surprised to see me. At all.

"You have?" I ask and walk closer toward her.

"Of course, honey! Come sit-"

She opens the door to the terrace and leads me there. There's only one white wooden bench that looks like can fit only two people and a table. Mum puts her hand on my shoulder and makes me sit down.

"Coffee? Tea?" She asks and leans her arm against the wall next to her.

I often thought if I'll ever see my mother. I even expected to see her when I'm dead, making up all kinds of our dialogues between me and her on all kinds of topics. I imagined how I'll hug her and tell her how much I missed her in my life. But now what I'm here and it's actually happening, I can't think of anything, I can't remember what I wanted to talk about.

"Answers, maybe," I manage to say after a short moment of staring at her.

"Oh..."

She sighs and sits next to me. I turn to her and examine her face from close. This seems surreal that she's here, that I can feel her. She's even prettier than I remember. Aunt May kept telling me how much we look alike, but now that I see here, I can only wish.

I cough again and sit more comfortably.

"Look, I don't have much time-" I start, but I'm immediately interrupted by her.