trying to get your baby to walk (requested)

You stood in the doorway of your room with a big smile on your face that has yet to fall. Your heart felt so full as you watched your husband coo to your almost one-year-old son, trying hard to get him to take his first steps.

"Come on, baby bear," he encouraged, watching closely as Jaxon crawled around on the floor after his toys that Ashton continued to move around, hoping eventually he'd get fed up and stand up to grab them.

You're both ready for him to take these steps now. The house is completely baby-proofed, although it has been since he first came into the world with Ashton simply wanting to plan ahead and keep your little boy as safe as possible.

Your son has now learned how to pull up on his own. However, he usually stumbles and falls back down unless one of you is there to help him walk. You're both anticipating the moment when that changes, and especially Ash.

Ashton sighed and caved in as Jaxon started to cry and reached for the toy he loved so much. He handed it over to him and tugged at his locks.

A little frustrated, he wanted more than anything to witness your son take his first steps. He's so busy sometimes he worries he'll miss it and you know he wouldn't be able to bear that thought.

You came up behind him and put your hands on his shoulders. He relaxed at your touch and tilted his head back to smile up at you.

"Still trying to get him to walk?"

"yeah." He replied and looked back at his son.

"It might take some time, Ash. But it'll happen soon, especially since he's pulling himself up now."

He went to reply when your son suddenly squealed happily. You both looked at him, finding him looking all bright-eyed when he saw you.

"Look who it is, little man!" Ashton grinned, his heart filling with happiness from the joy your son always feels around you.

He got up from the floor, sock-covered feet padding across the carpet and over to your son. Carefully, he put his arm around Jaxon and carefully lifted him from the floor and onto his tiny feet.

He gently put his fingers around his boys' much smaller ones and looked over at you, finding that you were already sitting on the floor with a smile as big as your son's gummy one.

"Come on, buddy!" You encouraged and waited to see what'd he do.

To your surprise, he started to take a couple of steps forward. He stumbled along the way, falling down with a small whimper of surprise. But Ashton was quick to encourage him to stand again, praising him for doing so good already.

"Good job, buddy! You're doing good. Wanna try again?"

He pulled himself up and Ashton held his hands once more, following your son's every tiny step.

"You can do it! Go get her!" He smiled and soon enough, he dropped his hands to see how your little boy would react, and to your surprise, he took a couple of small steps on his own to get to you before he fell onto his knees in front of you.

You were both quick to praise him, pulling him into your arms for hugs and kisses, which he loved as he squirmed and giggled.

Ashton blinked away a few tears gathering in his eyes, overjoyed about being able to watch such an important and beautiful moment take place right in front of his eyes.

"Good job, buddy." Ash cooed, kissing Jaxon's head lingeringly. "My little man. I love you so much. Stop growing up so fast, okay?" He said and blew raspberries across his cheek, making your son laugh and reach for his dad happily.

All you could do was grin while you watched Ashton play with him and give him five's and encouragement. Your son was growing up fast, for sure.

But there were still many years to come, many more milestones and special moments in store, and you know Ashton is gonna be the most encouraging father every step of the way to the little boy that's changed his world and filled his heart with so much love and joy.