you wake up in the middle of the night and he's not next to you

You jumped up in bed with a gasp. Your heart was racing as the memory of the nightmare continued to linger, despite the fact that you're now awake and safe in bed.

Looking over at the clock, you saw it was just after three in the morning. You felt around in bed for your boyfriend, in desperate need of his strong arms and his reassuring words. But your hand only came into contact with cold sheets. He obviously hasn't been in bed for a while and even though the rational side of your brain told you that he was okay, the other part of you was still scared after what you had just dreamt about.

You pushed away your blankets and got out of bed. You looked in the bathroom first only to find it empty. You checked the rooms upstairs and when he was nowhere to be found you only became more scared.

"Ashton? Ash!" You frantically called out for him as a wave of fear crashed over you.

Right as it did, you heard footsteps on the stairs before Ashton appeared at the top of the steps. "Y/n? What's wrong? I thought you were asleep."

You went over to him and put your arms around him. You held him tightly, scared he might disappear if you let him go. "Baby, what happened?" He could sense something was wrong. From how frantically you were calling out for him and your tight grip, something had obviously shaken you up.

"I had a bad dream and then I woke up and you weren't there and I got really scared for a minute." He stroked your cheek and worriedly stared down at you. You shakily exhaled and relaxed at his touch. "I'm here now, baby. I'm sorry I wasn't there. I couldn't sleep so I just went into my music room to do a little writing so I wouldn't wake you up."

You loosened your grip on him. Gazing up at him, Ashton could see the fear and worry clouding your eyes. "Hey. You're safe, okay? I'm here and I'm alright, and so are you."

"Okay." You whispered out a moment later. He grabbed your hand and brought it up to his lips. "Let's go back to bed." He leaned down to peck your lips and then led you back to bed. He laid back down with you and let you lay your head on his chest. "What'd you dream about? It must've been bad. You seemed really frightened."

You bit your lip and looked up at him. With just enough moonlight seeping through the barely closed curtains, you could see his face pretty well. You could tell he was worried, but he had no reason to be now. "I don't wanna talk about it. I'm feeling a little better now that you're here with me. I know you're safe and that's what matters most to me."

He leaned down and gave you a few loving kisses. "I'm right here, y/n. I'm not going anywhere. Try to go back to sleep. We're both safe and I promise I won't leave your side anymore tonight."

"Okay. Thanks, Ash."

He started to move his fingers through your hair as you slowly drifted back off to sleep. "I love you." He whispered and a smile appeared on his face when he heard you repeat the words back to him.

You felt a lot safer there in his arms. You knew nothing bad could happen, as long as he was there to hold you.