he forgets your birthday

The door closed quietly behind him as he kicked off his shoes and took off his hoodie.

He'd had a long day and was more than happy to be home. He expected you to be asleep since it was late so it caught him by surprise when he saw you sitting on the couch.

It was quiet at first, but as he got closer to you he heard you sniffling. He approached you, ready to put his hand down on your shoulder only for you to move away when he tried.

"Y/n? What's wrong? Are you crying? Are you hurt?" He sat down next to you and put his hand on your thigh but you pushed him away. "What's going on?"

And for the first time since he arrived home, you lifted your head and that's when he saw the tear stains on your cheeks. "Hey..."

"Do you know what today is?" He frowned and when he shook his head and you let out a sob, he knew he had forgotten something important.

He pulled out his phone and when he saw the date his heart dropped. He hung his head as guilt overcame him. "I'm so sorry y/n."

"You promised you would be there. I waited for you at the restaurant for two hours, but you never came." You sniffled, wiping away your own tears as you'd done for the past few hours. "I know. I'm sorry, baby. I feel awful."

"You should!" You snapped at him and as much as it had startled him he knew he deserved it. "I'm so sorry I forgot. It's just that I've been so busy with the boys, preparing for the tour and-" he stopped when he realized that no excuse he had would ever be good enough to make up for forgetting such an important day.

He reached for your hand and when you tried to pull away he tightened his grip. "I feel like I'm not important to you anymore." You whispered, voice so quiet that you weren't even sure if he had heard you. But he did, and that broke his heart.

"No, baby, no. You are so important to me. Y/n you're the most important person in the world to me. I know I forgot but I wanna make this up to you if you'll let me. I love you so much, let me show you that." He hooked his fingers underneath your chin and tilted it up.

Your eyes were swimming with tears and he had to blink away his own when he saw them. "If you'll let me, tomorrow I'm all yours. We can do whatever you want. The whole day is all yours. Just let me make it up to you."

You didn't reply verbally. Instead, you put your head on his shoulder and let him wrap his arms around you. "I know you're under a lot of stress and pressure but I feel like I haven't gotten much time with you lately. I understand you have a lot on your plate but... all I wanted was to be with you."

He softly pressed his lips to yours and wiped away the rest of your tears. "I'm all yours. I'm gonna text the boys and tell them I'm not coming in tomorrow. It's me and you, all day." He watched you smile and he felt relieved at the sight.

He was gonna make it all up to you, whatever it took.