promise rings

The feeling of Ashton running his fingertips along your spine awoke you from your peaceful sleep. You turned your head to find him leaning on his side, staring and smiling at you. "Good morning and happy anniversary."

A sleepy smile appeared on your face when you remembered today was your one year anniversary with Ashton. It's easily been the best year of your life. You love loving Ashton. He's made you the happiest you've ever been.

"Happy anniversary, Ash. We're just staying in bed today right?" Your boyfriend let out a few happy giggles before nodding his head and pressing his lips to your forehead. "Absolutely. But first," He pushed away from the blankets and got out of bed making you whine.

"Come back. You're warm." He cracked a small smile as he walked to his dresser and returned to you with a gift-wrapped box in his hand. "Ashton we agreed on no gifts. We said we'd just spend the day together."

You tried to push away the box but your boyfriend wasn't having any of it. "I know what we agreed upon at first, y/n. But I couldn't just get you nothing. It's our first anniversary and I wanted to make it special. So, I went and got a little something for you." He put it in your hand and the look in his eye showed you just how important this was to him.

You unwrapped it and found a velvet box and when you opened that, you saw a beautiful ring. Clearly not an engagement ring, but it held a special meaning just as special.

"It's a promise ring." He said as he pulled it out of the box. "I love you so much. This past year has been the best year of my life. You've made me a better man, and the happiest one at that. One day soon I'm gonna marry you. But until that day comes I want you to have this. I promise to always make you as happy as you make me. I promise to love you no matter what and to make sure you know that you're the most beautiful girl in the world to me, always."

He slid the ring onto your finger and you were sure you'd never smiled as widely as you were at that moment. You leaned in for a kiss, sighing as he put his arm around you and pulled you closer to him.

"Happy anniversary." He pulled your hand up to his lips and planted a kiss against your knuckles. "Happy anniversary, Ashton. I'm sorry I didn't get you anything." You frowned, pouting slightly until he kissed you again. "Being able to hold you here in my arms for the entire day while you wear that ring on your finger is all I could ever want."

"I'm never taking it off," he chuckled and pulled you in for one more soft kiss before he laid down and pulled you down on top of him.

He whispered to you just how much he loved you as you buried your face in his neck and started to kiss his skin while thanking your lucky stars, just as you've been doing every day for the last year, that he was yours.