taking care of you after surgery

Ashton kept one hand on the small of your back as you stepped out of the car.

Finally, after having major surgery and being stuck in the hospital for a couple of long days, you're home.

Ashton wasn't letting you go, his heart breaking with every whimper that left your lips with every step you took. And when you finally reached the couch he helped you lay comfortably on it before kneeling in front of you.

He put his hand on your cheek, smiling when you leaned against his hand. It's been hard on him watching you go through this. You were terrified, almost convincing yourself that you couldn't handle the surgery. But you did, and you know it's because Ashton had been right by your side through it all.

He's always been your rock, the shoulder you always lean on. And this situation was no different. He was right by your side whenever he could be. He let you cry on his shoulder when you felt afraid and he held your hand as you'd go under the anesthesia. He'd help you do the simplest things that you couldn't do on your own afterwards. He was there when you woke up from the surgery, his beautiful smile the first thing you saw and it made you feel good.

"You doing okay? Are you hurting?" He asked as he stroked your cheek. "I'm okay," you tried to say but your voice was hoarse and your throat was dry. He got you a glass of water, helping you take a few sips of it before he put his hand under your back and helped you lay back down.

You could see the worry in his eyes. You understood how he felt, you know you'd feel the same way if he was the one who had surgery. So you took his hands in yours and planted a few kisses against his fingers. "You tell me if you need anything at all, okay?"

You nodded your head and let your eyes close, smiling softly when you felt his fingers running through your hair. "Lay here with me?" You cracked your eyes open, watching a small frown appear on his lips. He was apprehensive, not wanting to risk causing you more pain.

"Please, Ash." He saw the look in your soft eyes and couldn't help but cave. He kicked off his shoes and laid next to you, doing everything he could to be safe and not cause you more pain or discomfort. He looked back at the clock and started to rub your back. "Only a little while longer till you can have some more medicine."

You nodded and sleepily buried your face in his chest. Your love for him has only grown stronger since going through this surgery and all you want is to spend every minute of this long recovery in his arms, where you always feel safest, even when you're hurting.

"Love you, Ash." You whispered and felt his lips press against your head. "Love you more."

You felt his fingertips running along your back and it lulled you to sleep. You knew he'd be waking you up soon, but until then you were happy to be sleeping in his safe, warm embrace again.