[ Chapter 28 ]

The walk to the headmaster's office was anxiety filled. She couldn't remember the last time she ever had a one-on-one communication with him- and now she was about to barge into his office and demand answers.

She walked to the second floor where a huge phoenix stood. The stairs to his office were already presented as she made her way up to where his door was. She knocked slightly before turning the knob and opening it.

Dumbledore's office was a large and beautiful circular room, full of funny little noises. A number of curious silver instruments stood on spindle-legged tables.The walls were covered with portraits of old headmasters and headmistresses, all of whom were snoozing gently in their frames. 

"Ahh Ms. Carter I wondered when you would be arriving," Professor Dumbledore said, standing up from his chair.

(Y/n) took a step forward trying to hide the nerves that were forming in her stomach. "I'm sorry to bother you sir, but I have a few questions that I believe only you will be able to answer."

"Ahh, I see. Well please take a seat," he said picking up a bowl of candy and handing it to her. "Lemon drop?"

"No thank you. Sir, I wanted to know if-"

"If your parents are really your parents."

(Y/n) sat at the edge of her seat as he talked. She never could quite understand how Professor Dumbledore always knew what other students were thinking.

"Yes, I've heard some things throughout the castle, and well honestly I never felt like I was a true Carter. But I always summed it up to being that I was a witch, and my parents were not."

"(Y/n), I am only telling you this now because I feel as if you could benefit with this knowledge. When Voldemort was still trying to gain followers many years ago he came across word of two prophecy being born. The first one was written about him and Harry Potter- the second was about you and him."

"Me?" (Y/n) asked as she slumped deeper in her seat. "Why would there be a prophecy about me and him?"

Dumbledore nodded as he moved back and forth across his office. "Ah indeed, that is a good question. Unfortunately, I do not know myself. Amelia and James Potter were twins. You must remember during these dark times there were people willing to throw anyone they wanted under the bus- even if that included friends. Amelia Euphemia Potter was indeed your mother. A very talented witch of her age who did everything she could in her power to protect you. She got whiff of the prophecy and took you with some old friends that use to live by her. That would be Mr. and Mrs. Carter. They promised to raise you and take care after you."

"My mum died protecting me?" she asked, a small frown forming on her face as she watched Dumbledore pace his office.

"Amelia was a talented witch that knew exactly what she was doing. She died saving the legacy and protecting you. I believe that you and Harry together will conquer great things."

"I still don't understand, sir. If Amelia Potter is my mother then who is my father?"

(Y/n) felt a sense of uneasiness when Dumbledore looked over to her. A sorrow look in his face as he continued talking. "Regulus Black."

"I'm a Black?" She asked trying to let all this new information sink in when a thought stroke her. "I'm Harry Potter's cousin then?"

"Yes- indeed you are but please refrain from telling him until the time is right. Now it's time you head to bed you do have a quidditch tournament tomorrow."

"I understand, thank you sir," she said getting up from her chair and walking out of her office. She felt sick to her stomach. She walked out of the castle towards the Black Lake where she took a seat under a tree. Usually, she would be scared that it was passed curfew and nighttime but she didn't care as the Black Lake calmed her.