[ Chapter 31 ]

(y/n) rubbed her eyes as she looked over to Wren. He was sleeping peacefully right next to her. He was a wreck by the time she had brought him into her room that night. He was frightened, and didn't want to be alone so she pulled him into her bed where they slept back to back.  

He spent the whole night silent except for the slight sniffles he let out when he thought she was asleep.

It was now Christmas morning and she knew she wanted to put a smile on his face. She slowly got up from her bed- grabbed a spare of clean clothes- changing in the bathroom- and made her way downstairs where she could make him some chocolate chip pancakes. Something she learned to be his favorite breakfast item.

Aiden was already downstairs when she walked into the kitchen. He sent her a small smile as she pulled out the pancake mix and pan.

"We need to talk about Wren," He said putting down the newspaper, and cup of coffee that was in his hand. 

"I know," she sighed as she looked at the measurements on the back on the pancake box. "I say we talk to Dumbledore, tell him what's going on and have him move in with us." 

"It might not be that easy. His father is someone that is well known and respected in the wizardry community. We're going to need to think a little bit outside of the box for this one. I do know that I don't want him back into that house."

"I can agree with you there. We already have a guest bedroom. I say we give it to him. Well at least when he's ready. He practically cried himself to sleep last night. It broke my heart. He's hurting and I don't want to leave him alone."

Aiden got up from his chair pulling her into a hug. "You're a good kid, you know that. I'm proud of the woman you're becoming." He placed a soft kiss on the top of her head before sitting back down and picking the newspaper up. 

"I learned from the best," she said as she turned back towards her pancakes. It had been a while since she had cooked- since Aiden did most of it -but she let her memory guide her as she put the flour and water together. It took less time then she thought it would, and by the time she had finished with a huge stack Wren was walking down the stairs into the kitchen.

"It smells good in here," he said with a small smile, but she knew he was pushing himself to do it. "Happy Christmas."

"Happy Christmas," Aiden and (y/n) said together as she put a plate in front of him.

"Wow these are better than the ones Hogwarts serve, who knew you could cook Carter," Wren said a genuine smile forming on his face.

"I'm glad you like it," she said reaching over putting syrup all over them. "Now let's hurry up and eat because we got presents!" she said shoving the food in her mouth.

Wren let out a laugh as he finished his meal. There were times he went quiet, and (y/n) wanted to say something to cheer him up but she didn't know how to. By the time he was finished she grabbed his arm and dragged him into the living room.

"Here you go," she said holding out a gift to him.

He looked down at it, for a while unsure if he should open it or not. "(Y/n) you've already done so much for me I can't accept this."

"Just open it," she said waiting for his reaction as he opened up his gift.

"(Y/n), no I can't accept this." He said putting the crystal back in the box. She had gotten him a black tourmaline, a well known protective crystal but it wasn't like what muggles knew it to be. It is known to sense danger and when pressed against the palm can easily transport you somewhere safe. It was almost like apparition but you didn't need a wand and it always sensed the danger that lurked.

"Oh shut it, and accept it. You need it," she said pulling him into a hug.

"Here you go Wren this from myself," Aiden said handing him a small box. Wren grabbed it reluctantly before opening up the top. A small gasp escaped his lip as he looked down. "No, you didn't."

Aiden smiled to himself as he looked over at him. "We already have tickets and I thought it would be a good idea if you came with us this summer to the World Cup."

"I don't deserve this," he said- a few tears leaving his eyes as he got up and pulled Aiden into a hug. "Thank you," he said.

(Y/n) smiled to herself as she watched them. She saw Wren like a brother and it warmed her heart knowing she could do something to help him.

Wren pulled away slowly as he got up and went to his bag that was off to the side. "These are for you. Sorry it's not much."

He handed them each a bag that contained sweets from Honeydukes along with a painting of each of them that he painted himself.

"Wren this is amazing!" (y/n) said pulling him into a hug. "I didn't know you could draw," she said admiring his work.

"This is bloody brilliant," Aiden said as he placed the picture on top of the fireplace. "I love it."

Wren just slightly smiled shrugging his shoulders. "It's nothing compared to what you both got me."

"Come on, let's go play in the snow," (y/n) said getting Wren up and pulling him outside. She made a mental note to open up the the rest of her gifts later.

She rushed out the door jumping into the snow, letting her body sink in as softness of it engulfed her body. Wren let out a laugh as he shook his head. "Some things never get old," he said jumping in the snow next to her. He grabbed her hand giving it a squeeze.

"Thank you, (y/n) for everything."

"Wren, you're one of my closest friends. I would do anything for you."

"Anything?" He asked looking over to her.

"Of course, why?"

"Can you keep this a secret from Lee? I really don't want to worry him."

"Of course, I will, but Wren what happened to you?"

He stayed quiet for a long time. Letting the snow melt on his back as he took in a deep breath. "My dad and I never got along. He was a proud Slytherin when he went to Hogwarts, and when he found out I got put into Ravenclaw he almost disowned me. I spent most of my life in fear in that house. His beliefs are barbaric as he only believes in pureblood supremacy."

"What?" she asked sitting up to get a better look at him. "That's horrible!"

"Most Slytherins believe in that. Would you believe me if I said my father is best friends with the Malfoys?" He said with a distaste laugh. "I never believed in their ways and my father would lash out at me for it. Last night was the worst of it."

"Your father is a supporter of Voldemort isn't he?"

Wren looked over at her too ashamed to look her in the eye as he nodded. "I don't know what's going to happen, but I think something bad is going to happen soon. He wanted to marry me off last night in preparation of this ceremony. I told him- I told him," Wren trailed off, a small tear escaping his eye.

"It's okay, Wren. You're safe right now and that's all that matters." She said rubbing circles in his back. "You don't ever have to go back to that house of horrors."

"But I do, (y/n) you don't understand. My father is the head of aurors he's not going to just let his only son run away. I'm stuck. I'm going to have to go back during the summer."

Wren had started to tremble slightly and (y/n) wrapped a hand around him to bring him in closer. "He is not going to lay another hand on you Wren. I promise you that. And Aiden will be damned if he lets you go back there. You're living with us from now on."

"You promise?" He asked, the terror still in is voice as he met her eye.

"I promise."

A/N: Sorry for this short chapter! It's just a filler to get you all ready for Sunday.