[ Chapter 47 ]

(Y/n) slid her back down on the cold pavement, allowing the cold air to press up against her cheek. She was just able to escape the Great Hall without anyone questioning her further on what had happened. In truth the whole day was a spiral and she was pretty sure she had made most of it up in her head.

She pulled out a single roll of parchment and a quill. She knew that whenever she was sad or unsure Aiden had an answer for everything, and she was missing him.

Aiden,

I'm sorry that it's been so long since I last wrote you. With everything going on in the tournament I've been a little busy. Ad, I need you. I'd be lying if I said everything was fine here. It's not.

Sincerely,

(Y/n) Carter

(y/n) looked the letter over before picking herself up from the ground and walking to the owlery. It wasn't that long of a walk from where she was. The cold air relaxing her a bit as she let her mind wander lost in thought. Within minutes she reached the entrance of the Owlery- climbing up the stairs, and walking over to Peanut who was happily sitting on his ledge.

"Take this to Aiden," she whispered as she fed him a small treat. He hooted happily before flying off.

"Writing a letter?"

(y/n) turned around and drew a breath as Fred stood behind her. He was still in his school robes; his hair was a little disheveled and he was starring everywhere but at her.

"Aiden," she said turning back around as she looked up at the sky. "I was letting him know how excited I am for the Yule Ball."

"Are you?" He asked, coming to stand next to her. "Excited? I mean. With Pucey?"

She turned to look at him, taking in all his features as he rested his head on top of his hand. He was leaning against the railing looking up at the sky. "Does it matter?" She let out as she drew in another breath. Standing next to him was making her head dizzy, and she was having a hard time concentrating.

"Of course, it matters. I'm your-"

"You're my what, Fred? My friend? Because you haven't been acting like one. What happened to us?"

Fred hung his head low as he tried to come up with a good enough answer, but he couldn't think of one. He hadn't been a friend, and the more he thought about it the more he hated the idea. He stayed silent for a few moments. It was so quiet that (y/n) didn't think he was going to answer.

"I wish I could give you a better answer then what I'm thinking because you deserve one, but I don't have one. No matter how hard I try to understand myself I get lost."

(Y/n) smiled up at him before nodding. For once in a long time, she didn't have anything to say to him. She stiffed a yawn before walking away from the ledge. "It's almost curfew. You might want to hurry and write your letter," she said walking towards the door.

"Oh, I don't need to write a letter."

(Y/n) turned around as she gripped the doorknob. "Then why did you come to the owlery?"

"To escape," he said turning around to meet her eyes. "Looks like my git of a brother wrote to mum and I received a howler about the ball. Don't give me that look. It's fine. I deserved it anyways. I wanted to ask you."

(Y/n) looked at him in confusion as she dropped her hand from the door. "Then why didn't you?"

"Cedric, I thought after the article and everything- there were whispers, you know. I figured when he asked you you'd say yes. I mean why wouldn't you. He's top of his class, popular, and every girl at Hogwarts wants to be with him."