Chapter 7

"W-W-What exactly do you know?" I folded my arms across my chest. 

"That your mother was irresponsible-"

I interrupted him. "DON'T YOU DARE GET MAD AT MY MOTHER OR BLAME HER FOR WHAT HAPPENED! If anything, it was my fault."

"My apologies," He apologized. "I know that your mom wasn't in the best relationship ever and that he basically abused you."

"I wish you would have told me you were going to tell him," I started to cry, but I stopped and gulped. "It wasn't the best, and it was my fault. I was in about the eighth grade and he came along. Everything was fine at first and-"

"You don't have to tell him," My mom reminded me. 

"I have to. He's my dad. And, so, he didn't ever touch my mom-he was always kind to her. But, when it came to me, he was so mad. I would always come home from school early (it was back when my mom was recording one of her movies) and he started yelling at me for being ugly and told me that I could amount to better and it was my fault that my mom couldn't have another kid. One night, I came home late and I saw him sitting down on the couch. He told me that my mom was out searching for me, but he was waiting for me. He never molested or raped me or anything like that, but he did almost kill me that night. He grabbed me by my shirt and dragged me up the stairs, then shoved me face into the pillow. It was a miracle that night-I thought I was going to die. My mom came home, saw what happened, and the police arrested him."

"How did the police get there so soon?" Till asked. 

"They were right behind me," She answered. "I could hear her muffled screams from outside, so I called the police right away."

"So, that's what happened," I shrugged my shoulders. 

Till wrapped me in a hug and rubbed my back. "I would never do that to you, you know that right?"

I nodded, stepped back, and I wiped away my tears. 

"I think that it's time to get going," My mom stood up. "It was nice seeing you, Till."

"Wait, when will I be able to see her again?" He asked. 

"I don't know, Till!" She threw her arms up in the air. "This wasn't even planned, okay?! You weren't supposed to see her! But I did it for her!"

"What? I'm such a bad person?!"

"Did I say that?!"

"Mom, I want to see him again," I told her. 

She sighed. "We'll work something out. It's not like he hasn't seen you before."

"He met me yesterday, Mom."

"Would you like to tell her, Till, or should I?" She asked. 

"Tell me what?" I asked intrigued. 

"I've seen your dance performances," He admitted. "Your choir performances, band performances, speeches, school assemblies, everything. I've been there in your life before, you just haven't met me."

"So, you've tried?" I asked. "You tried to see me?"

"Yes, why wouldn't I?" He asked. 

"Then why wasn't I able to meet you?" I suddenly felt hurt and lied to. 

"I didn't know how he was and-"

"SERIOUSLY, MOM?! YOU DIDN'T KNOW HOW HE WAS?! I'VE WANTED MY WHOLE FUCKING LIFE JUST TO SEE HIM AND YOU'RE OVER HERE SAYING YOU DIDN'T KNOW HOW HE WAS?! HE OBVIOUSLY CHANGED IF HE FLEW TO THE FUCKING UNITED STATES JUST SO SEE HIS DAUGHTER!"

"You may NOT raise your voice at me like that, do you understand?!" She yelled. "We're leaving! Goodbye, Till!"

My mom grabbed my arm and dragged me out of the house. Once she let go of my arm, I ran back inside quickly, and I gave Till a hug. 

"Call me, okay?" I asked. 

"Of course," He kissed the top of my head and let me go. 

"I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too," He started to cry. "You better go-your mom is going to be upset with you."

I nodded my head, let go of him, and I walked back to the car. As I drove away, Anja came into view and she held up a fist at me, then kissed Till. 

Little did I know that my mom and Till were not crying earlier because of her past relationship-it was something that would change our lives forever.