Chapter 19: A Village's Little White Flower (End)

The air in the Du family's home was thick with tension as he paced around the room, his mother watching him sternly. The repeated attempts to find him a suitable match had failed again. No one was good enough for him, and Madam Hu's frustration was reaching its peak.

"Du Heng, you can't keep rejecting every girl. I'm doing this for your own good," his mother insisted, her voice hinting at exasperation.

Du Heng, however, was in no mood to relent. He ran a hand through his hair, his frustration evident. "Mother, I've told you before. I have someone in my mind, and no one else will do."

His mother sighed, her patience wearing thin. "Du Heng, you can't cling to the past forever. That girl from the Bai family is not the only girl in the world. There are many other girls around. If you don't like the girls here, we can find someone in town..."

Du Heng's expression tightened, and he abruptly stood up. "Mother, I won't discuss this anymore. I need some time alone." He grabbed a bundle of his belongings and headed towards the door.

His mother called after him, her voice a mix of concern and frustration. "Du Heng, where are you going? You can't just leave like this!"

Du Heng turned to face her, and determination etched on his features. "I need some space, Mother."

Without waiting for her response, Du Heng left, closing the door behind him loudly. His mother was left standing in the quiet room, a mix of emotions crossing her face.

The narrow alley outside the Du family's home echoed with hurried footsteps as Du Heng stormed out. He barely registered a figure waiting in the dark. It was Bai Chuntao, her eyes filled with desperation.

"Young Master Du!" Bai Chuntao called out, her voice strained with urgency.

Du Heng, however, had no intention of engaging with her. He quickened his pace, hoping to escape the confrontation. His resentment toward Bai Chuntao was evident in his clenched jaw and the icy glare he shot her.

Bai Chuntao, determined to have her say, chased after him. "Young Master Du, please, just listen! I didn't mean it, let me explain!"

Du Heng halted abruptly, his patience wearing thin. He turned to face her, a mixture of anger and disdain in his eyes. "Explain? What is there to explain? You and your family have caused enough trouble for me."

Bai Chuntao's eyes pleaded for understanding, but Du Heng ruthlessly pushed her away. "I don't want to hear your excuses. I've had enough of you. Stay away from me," he loudly said, continuing on his way without sparing her another glance.

Bai Chuntao stumbled backward, hurt and rejected. She watched helplessly as Du Heng disappeared down the alley, the weight of his resentment lingering in the air. 

Her reputation had taken an unexpected turn lately, leaving her with dwindling marriage prospects. Her mother had tirelessly sought potential suitors, yet the recent inquiries from the village matchmakers only resulted in unappealing men.

Last time, an older widower expressed interest in Bai Chuntao. Despite his sincerity, Bai Chuntao delayed her answer over and over, finding excuses each time. The age gap and the stepchildren made the prospect less than appealing. However, before she could refuse, the man had already chosen another woman, leaving Bai Chuntao's option dashed.

Even though she was only 14 years old, Bai Chuntao felt the pressure mounting. Her parents, especially her father, were growing impatient. Bai Chuntao knew that a matchmaker was currently negotiating with a family in the mountains, and her parents planned to agree to marry her there. Could it be that she was reborn and just ended up worse than her previous life?