Chapter 58: An Overlord Flower in the Apocalypse (18)

"What do you mean she is gone?"

In the Dawn base, Resh stood before Edgar and his team, feeling helpless, facing their questioning stares. 

His mind was a mixture of anger, disappointment and confusion as he tried to come up with terms for Florentina's sudden departure. Deep down, he clung to the hope that all of this was just a bad dream and that she would return to him in no time.

Edgar leaned forward, his expression filled with concern. "Resh, do you have any idea why she left?" he asked, his tone gentle yet probing.

Resh said gloomily, "I don't know why, but she is gone." he admitted, feeling a pang of guilt for his inability to provide answers. 

He was surrounded by Edgar and his team. One by one, they said comforting words and patted his back to cheer him up. No one knows what had happened between Resh and Flo, so even though they might have opinions in their hearts, they didn't feel right to say anything.

"So what are you going to do, brother? Will you go back with us to Serenity Cove?"

Serenity Cove and the Dawn base were only a day's journey. Not too far apart. During this period of time, the two bases exchanged contacts and performed several missions together. They would expect that they would go back and forth a lot in the future.

"No, I have something I need to finish here," Resh said absent-mindedly.

After Edgar and his team left, Resh reflected on the time he spent together with Florentina and every moment that had brought them closer. He recalled Florentina's sudden appearance, how she had saved his life, and then the undeniable connection between them. How could she just leave without a word?

Suddenly, Resh realized that their troubles had begun when he introduced her to his sister, Shani. He remembered Shani's rudeness and the tension that had arisen between them after her involvement. He couldn't shake the feeling that she was somehow to blame for their misunderstandings.

"No," he muttered to himself. "It was me." Resh's voice grew more and more frustrated as he connected the dots. Even though Shani always said strange things about Florentina, he was supposed to defend her and not always come to question her.

She must be really disappointed with him.

Afterwards, Shani came home humming a song and looking very satisfied with herself, making Resh feel increasingly disgruntled.

Shani surely felt relief. Not only did she get rid of an unwanted suitor, but she also got rid of an annoying fly that always bothered her brother.

Toby Andrews had a bit of a reputation already. Many women who came across him would lose their minds after him and wouldn't come back. Now her brother and her good friend, Alicia, live forever ever after, isn't she a great matchmaker?

That woman, Florentina, was a bit of a monster, but no matter what, isn't she still a woman? Shani felt that matching her and Toby was also a win-win solution. She found a replacement boyfriend for that woman, who is rich and owns a base, and that womaniser also got the woman of his dreams. Isn't it a happy solution for everyone?

At this time, Hua sat on the plush sofa, her expression unreadable as Toby knelt before her, his words pouring out like a fervent stream. His silly smile grated on her nerves, but she maintained her composure, listening intently as he divulged every detail of his power and his base.

She asked questions from time to time, such as how he did his brainwashing and also how many of his subordinates still kept their own mind.

Toby's response was swift and eager, his eyes gleaming enthusiastically as he elaborated on his methods.