Chapter 48: An Overlord Flower in the Apocalypse (8)

As the first rays of dawn filtered through the curtains, Resh stirred awake, and his senses slowly came back to life, feeling the warmth of the morning sun on his face and the softness of the sheets beneath him.

But it was the gentle weight of Florentina's body nestled against his own that brought him fully awake. He shifted slightly, feeling her breath against his chest, her hair tickling his skin as she slept soundly in his arms.

The two of them had been ambiguous during these periods. Resh has doubts about Florentina, as she appeared mysteriously and they knew nothing about her, but he cannot deny that there were sparks between them. He is not in the habit of getting a casual sexual partner, but these days, any day could be your last day. It would be silly to give up something so wonderful. 

Then, while they were collecting supplies in a pharmacy, he saw a blue box in one of the aisles and took a box of condoms just in case. So last night, when the situation called for it, he just let it happen.

With a soft smile, Resh pressed a kiss to the top of Florentina's head. For a moment, Resh simply lay there, savouring the sensation of having her close and listening to the steady rhythm of her heartbeat. It was a moment of pure peace and quiet in the midst of a world gone mad.

After several small movements, Hua was also awake. Blinking sleepily, she became aware of the warmth enveloping her.

"Wake up?" As she turned her head slightly, she met Resh's gaze, his eyes filled with tenderness and affection as he looked down at her.

Hua smiled softly, and her eyes sparkled when she saw him, "Morning."

Resh chuckled softly. He loves how she always smiles when she sees him. With a soft smile, Resh leaned in closer, his lips brushing against Hua's in a tender kiss.

Outside the hotel, Lucas was practising his new power by moving wrecked cars into barriers outside the perimeters, effectively blocking off streets on the north and western sides of the city.

It was a strategic move to create obstacles that would impede the advance of any zombies or any hostile forces.

Some survivors also awakened Earth abilities, so Edgar got them to practice moving soil and see if they could build a wall.

Together with Lucas, the group worked tirelessly to fortify their defences.

As they worked, another team took the opportunity to empty the wrecked cars of any supplies or fuels before Lucas could stack them. They would need to rely on limited transportation to navigate the city and check the buildings for potential threats or survivors.

With their defences bolstered and their resources replenished, the survivors prepared to venture out further. Their hearts filled with a renewed sense of hope and determination. 

"Sir, we have newcomers arriving at the north gate. Non-hostile. Over."

"Understood. Send them to the hotel for resettlement."

As Skylar, Karan, and their group arrived at Serenity Cove, they were relieved to find the small town bustling with activity. People moved about, some carrying supplies or working on fortifying the defences.

Approaching the hotel's entrance, Harper greeted them with a welcoming smile. "Welcome to Serenity Cove," he said, his voice tinged with exhaustion. We're at full capacity in the hotel, but we've set up accommodations in the nearby buildings. Follow me, and I'll show you to your new home."

Following Harper's lead, they made their way to a nearby building, where makeshift beds had been set up in what appeared to be the conference room. As they settled in, they couldn't help but notice Florentina's familiar face moving to the lobby, her attention focused on her tasks.