Chapter 53: An Overlord Flower in the Apocalypse (13)

As the sun cast its warm hues across the desolate landscape, Hua sat in an armored SUV, which was modified by Lucas' metal power, embarking on a journey to the distant Dawn base.

Escorting her was Lucas, Harper, and a small team of power users. Edgar wanted to go with them, but with Alicia and her entourage staying in Serenity Cove and asking a lot of questions, he had to stay to entertain her.

Edgar promised Hua that he would join her as soon as they finished up in Serenity Cove. Hua understood that someone had to be in charge and agreed with a solemn nod.

Just before the sun dipped below the horizon, they arrived at the Dawn base—a sanctuary nestled within an unfinished suburban development. Situated on the outskirts of the city, its location offered a semblance of tranquillity, shielded from the chaos beyond its walls.

As they approached the base, the first thing that caught their eye was the towering barrier that encircled its perimeter—the wall was three meters tall and constructed from sturdy materials salvaged from the surrounding area.

There were guards with assault rifles on top of the walls, offering a sense of security from the threat of the undead.

A simple facility was built 15 meters in front of the gate, with multiple one-person-wide entrances in the middle. In front of each entrance, there are desks where the guards interview each new entry.

There was a queue in front of the gate. Hua and the team walked to the end of the line and joined the queue.

The queue moved quickly, and each person was asked about their names, ages, any superpowers, and their occupations before the end of the world.

Soon, it was their turn.

"... Name."

"Lucas Brown."

"... Age."

"30."

"Any superpowers?"

"Metal power."

They quickly escorted Lucas inside. The treatment was heaven and earth compared to ordinary people.

Soon, the team entered the base one by one, but when someone offered to take them to the superpowers centre, they shook their heads and waited for Hua.

"...Age."

"20."

"Any superpowers?"

"Water power."

The interviewer was wondering what was so special about the only woman in this team of superpowers. Hearing that she was only a water power, he scoffed and waved his hand to let Hua in.

"Okay, your information has been registered. Please take this card and follow the instructions." He said impatiently.

The team entered the base smoothly. A person was waiting for them and immediately offered various benefits of the Dawn base. The team had heard this from Kai and Leo before, so they were prepared and shook their heads to refuse.

"Sorry, we are just here to find someone. We are from Serenity Cove base."

The person had been waiting for a long time and muttered with dissatisfaction, "Looking for someone again. What is with people from Serenity Cove?"

The team looked around. Most of the buildings looked unfinished, with various patchwork that barely rendered them useable. On the streets and empty spaces were a collection of makeshift structures made of wooden boards, cardboard, and plastic sheets and rows of disaster relief tents scattered across the terrain.