Chapter 32: A Wild Flower in the Beast World (12)

When Fang and his group departed, Yan was nowhere to be seen.

Elise looked around for him and found him standing alone in the empty patriarch's cave. Patriarch Fang, of course, had the best cave in the tribe. Not only was it located in the centre location, but it was also the biggest. Now that Yan is the new patriarch, this cave should belong to him.

Yan was feeling something he couldn't explain in his chest. It was a mix of uncertainty, loneliness, and the sudden weight of responsibility that he was not ready to accept.

As Yan stood in the empty hall that used to be Patriarch Fang's living room, a wave of nostalgia washed over him. This space was once bustling with the energy of Hua and her family, and now it lay dark and desolate.

In his mind, he could vividly recall the countless hours spent here as a child under the watchful eyes of Fang and Ren. Anything that they taught Hua, they taught him too, shaping him into the person he had become.

The memories of shared meals he spent within the walls reminded him of the warmth of family that had once filled this space. He could almost taste the food they had together those days, a bittersweet reminder of happier times.

And in the corners where he had once played with Hua growing up... The absence of laughter and chatter only amplifies the sense of loneliness that almost suffocates him.

They were a family. Yan knows that he has grown up and has a new family, but he can't help but feel abandoned.

Meanwhile, Elise's excitement bubbled over as she gazed around the cave she had long coveted. Hua's room had always been rumoured to be the most beautiful in the tribe, but as she looked at the space now, she couldn't help but feel disappointed. 

Hua had a few additional pieces of "furniture," but this did not change the fact that the place still lacked the modern comforts she desired.

"Can you imagine, Yan?" Elise exclaimed, her eyes sparkling with anticipation. "This is going to be our new home! We can decorate it however we want!"

But Yan's response shattered her enthusiasm. "No, I don't want this cave."

Elise's smile dropped as she struggled to understand his rejection. "But why not? This is the best cave in the tribe!"

Always quick with any sarcastic comment to mock Yan, Mace leaned in and whispered to Elise, "Maybe it's because it still smells like that wolf." Mace was referring to Ling. His expression was taunting and mocking.

A beastman's nose is very good. Elise didn't notice anything, but he and Yan could easily smell what happened in Hua's room just a few hours ago. Mace imagined that it would drive Yan crazy.

He sneered inwardly. Someone who only knows something is precious after he lost them. Mace hated a man like Yan the most.

Elise was not pleased as she turned to Yan. "Why would that bother you?" she asked, feeling unhappy that Yan was still bothered about Hua and the other guy.

Yan's silence only added to the tension in the room, leaving Elise feeling frustrated and hurt.

Seizing the opportunity, Mace suggested, "Otherwise, we could clean up and expand Zhi's cave instead. It's already got three bedrooms, and with a little work, it could be even better than this one."

Yan nodded in agreement, his mind still clouded with uncertainty.

Elise pouted unhappily. Even though it has more room, how could Zhi's cave could compete with the patriarch's cave? The location alone was not comparable. Patriarch Fang's cave was right in the middle of the tribe. As soon as you look up, you know this place is important. However, it seems a better option than Yan being reminded of Hua daily.