Chapter 61: An Overlord Flower in the Apocalypse (21)

Hua raised her hands in surrender and stepped out from the bushes.

The older woman, who was holding a torchlight, sighed with relief when she saw Hua was just a young woman.

She looked around, seeking any trace of other people, so Hua said to comfort her, "I'm alone."

The woman was taken aback. "How did you get here by your... Never mind, come with me."

The woman took her out of the woods and into a farmhouse and surrounding homesteads.

The residents gathered around a crackling bonfire, their faces illuminated by the dancing flames as darkness enveloped the surrounding forest. The air was filled with the soft murmur of voices and the occasional sound of rustling leaves, creating an atmosphere of quiet anticipation.

Some of the residents sat on makeshift stools or logs, their eyes fixed on the fire as they warmed their hands against the flickering heat. Others stood in small groups, talking in hushed tones as they watched the surrounding woods, their faces drawn with worry and fatigue.

Occasionally, a dog would bark, causing heads to turn towards the sound. But each time, the villagers would quickly return their attention to the fire, their eyes scanning the darkness for any sign of movement.

Despite the late hour, the villagers showed no signs of weariness, and their determination to protect their community was evident in their unwavering vigilance. 

Seeing the woman arrive with Hua, a stranger, in tow, some people stood up in alert.

"It's just this little girl."

"Well, have you checked her? She might be infected."

Hua showed her arms and feet cooperatively to show that she was not bitten. Someone saw the burn scar on her arm and exclaimed, but seeing that it was a burn scar, not a zombie bite, they were relieved.

Hua looked around at the residents around her. Their faces were drawn with exhaustion, their eyes hollow with hunger. She couldn't fathom how they managed to survive in such harsh conditions.

Previously, Hua would ask them if they needed any help and even took out food and water for them. However, this world had taught her that kindness would not sometimes bite back at her. She doesn't know anything about these people, and she looks at them with vigilance, just like how they look at her.

As she sat among them, the residents hesitated at first. Their wary gazes flickering between each other, but eventually, someone asked, "Girl, have you got any news from the authorities? When would the help come?"

Hua shook her head. "I'm afraid not. It seems like we're on our own. From what I heard, the capital was hit even harder than we were, so I don't think anyone's coming to rescue us anytime soon."

The resident cried in panic. "No, no, no. It can't be. So, who would come and take us out of this mess??"

Hua shrugged and said, "We can't rely on others to save us. We have built our own base, gathered supplies, and just figured out a way. Survivors banded together to make it through this time."

Someone said, "A base? Girl, can you take us?"

Hua nodded. "I'll contact the base in the morning and see if someone could come and get you." This place is too close to the area where the Zombie King was last sighted. Any later, these bunch of people would be part of the Zombie King's horde.

As Hua sat with crossed legs and cultivated, the resident stared at her with widened eyes.

"What is she doing?"