Chapter 63: An Overlord Flower in the Apocalypse (23)

Around a kilometre outside the business district, a large group of superpowers from various bases arrived to battle the Zombie King, including Edgar and his group from Serenity Cove.

They introduced themselves to each other, and Edgar also shared the news that Flo brought.

When Shani heard that the Zombie King was a 12 or 13-year-old boy, accompanied by a 6 to 8-year-old girl with no hair, she exclaimed, "Those are just children. We can't be that cruel."

"Shut up." "Shhh..." "Stop talking." People around her shush her one by one.

Shani pouted and was about to say something, but Resh pulled her hand and whispered, "Shani, those kids are zombies. If we pity them, we will die."

In the clean-up teams, they had killed many zombies, kids or adults. They had no choice because it was either them or the zombies.

Shani had never been in real combat before. It was normal that she still had values before the apocalypse. However, those values had no place here.

As each team's leaders discussed strategies, where to go and what to do, everyone was full of doubts and worries.

Resh whispered to Shani, "You stayed here with the medical team. Don't follow any further."

"What do you mean?" Shani whispered back angrily, "You think I'm useless, don't you? Isn't your beloved Florentina also a water power? She is a combatant, and so am I!"

"You're not Flo." Resh's voice can't help but become a bit louder, but looking at the situation, he calmed himself down and whispered, "You just got your power, and you've never been in combat before. What do you think you're going to do?" 

"Ooh, you think you're so great, aren't you? Fire will also lose against water. Besides, I can do this."

Shani waved at her, and a thin mist appeared in front of them, making everyone turn quiet for a second. However, soon after, people burst into confusion.

"Where is this mist coming from?"

"Oh my god, I can't see anything."

"How do we fight like this?"

Resh pulled Shani's hand and said harshly, "What are you doing?"

"Isn't it cool? Now, the zombies cannot see us." Shani said proudly. As soon as she started to create water, she knew how to do this. She had checked, and no other water powers could do this. She is a genius!

"The zombies CANNOT see us. Stop messing around." Resh said with gritted teeth, "Vision doesn't matter for zombies. They detect humans by smell and sound. You're just creating problems for us to kill the zombies. Now stop it."

"What? That can't be..." She paused before continuing, "What do you mean stop it?"

"Stop the mist. Get rid of it."

Their conversation had attracted attention from left and right, making Resh's face redden in embarrassment. He knew that he shouldn't let his sister follow them. If anything happened, this would be a disaster for everyone.

"I can't, I can't get rid of it. I only learned this!" Shani's voice is getting louder, making everyone around them shush her again.

"Why is everyone so mean? I'm just mm..." Resh immediately covered her mouth to silence her. 

He whispered, "Remember when I say that zombies detect humans by smell and sound? If you really want to be a combatant, you'll learn to be quiet. You hear me?"

He slowly released her and sighed while looking at her eyes. "Shani, we are not playing around here. If we messed up, we would die. Do you understand?"

Shani nodded with tears welled in her eyes. Now, she understands that she messed up, but she doesn't know how to fix it.