Chapter 34: A Wild Flower in the Beast World (14)

Without knowing about the world-shattering changes in the wolf clan miles away, in the Howling tribe, Yan paced back and forth in the central gathering area. 

Yan's brow furrowed in frustration. He knew that he was not ready for the weight of leadership, but he didn't realise how heavy this burden actually was. 

It is currently springtime. Usually, around this time of year, the tribe has to restock on supplies that had depleted in winter, which means it is time to hunt again.

They also have to collect enough resources, such as food and animal skin, to catch up with the market day. This was the only time they could trade for rare materials, such as salt.

However, Elise has this bright idea to start a farm.

She said that people don't hunt in the place she came from. They would grow or raise their food.

Forget about farming, which would not keep meat-eaters like him full. 

Elise said they could also keep and raise animals.

However, their last experience capturing long-eared beasts was a disaster. After being captured, those long-eared beasts were unwilling to stay in place. Of the three beasts they managed to capture, two escaped the next day. They had to kill the remaining one before it went away. Otherwise, wouldn't they get injured for nothing? 

But so many people were injured for getting one long-eared beast. It didn't seem to be worthwhile. Many people have comments about him.

Even if he wanted to help Elise find something else to raise again, the rest of the tribe was not willing.

Not everyone in this tribe supported him. Most of the elders keep voicing concerns about this and that. His position in the tribe is actually not very stable. 

In short, they don't have the resources or manpower to deal with Elise's ideas.

But then, it was Elise's proposal to integrate the Blackwater tribe with them that had caused the most uproar in the Howling tribe. 

Who knew from where, Elise heard that most members of the Blackwater tribe are horses, which are vegetarians. She said it would be the best way to solve the manpower issue.

Maybe she didn't remember their last encounter with the Blackwater tribe. Most people in the Howling tribe still harboured resentment from their last attack. Some people actually lost friends and family members!

Also, she didn't mean to enslave them. Elise wanted to consolidate the two tribes together!

Elise argued passionately about this matter, but her words fell on deaf ears. Most people were deeply offended and left directly.

Yan struggled to maintain order and unity at every turn. Without the guidance and wisdom of Fang and Ren, he found himself drowning in neverending work.

So many people were hostile toward Elise that even Mace had to step up and support Yan. Otherwise, many people blamed Elise for Patriarch Fang's departure and the mess in the tribe. Who knows what they would do to her? To prevent further danger to his female, Mace cooperatively helped Yan in the tribe's matter. Now, there were two of them who ran around to find solutions to various problems in the tribe. 

As the days passed, Yan found himself grappling with more issues within the tribe: disputes over resources, disagreements over decisions, someone was sick, and the others were pregnant, and then the lingering hatred towards the Blackwater tribe.

Everything threatened to tear the Howling tribe apart from within.

Despite his best efforts, the tribe descended further into chaos. As the sun set on another tumultuous day, Yan started having a very scary question in his heart.