Chapter 15: A Village's Little White Flower (15)

The night was shrouded in an eerie stillness. Suddenly, doors were violently kicked open one by one as the bandits descended upon the unsuspecting village like vultures. Panic spread like wildfire as families were torn from their dreams into a waking nightmare.

Hu Baoshan's old house is in the back of the village, but Hua was jolted awake by an unsettling premonition. Her senses heightened. She rose from her bed quickly and turned on an oil lamp. Outside, the air carried the distant echoes of terrified screams and the clatter of looting bandits.

Su Linlong awakens because of Hua's movement. Even though she was confused, she swiftly made her system to conduct a scan. "Bandits!" She exclaimed in panic. Without a moment's hesitation, Hua dressed hurriedly and rushed outside.

The first thing she did was to find her mother.

In the past couple of months, Hua had been used to move back and forth to the Bai family. Especially since she found out that she was pregnant. When the danger arrives, she instinctively ran back to them.

In the Bai family's home, Meng Yun slept soundly beside her husband. The other family members were also sleeping in various rooms, unaware of the impending danger. Bai Chunhua broke into their home loudly while yelling, "Bandits! Mother, wake up, Grandfather, grandmother. Wake up!"

"Bandits! We must run quickly," she said urgently.

The Bai family was confused at first, but the noises from far away made them rise in panic. They quickly prepared to flee.

There are bandits everywhere. Everyone has always known this. However, the bandits didn't attack them before and the villagers rarely came out to the chaotic outside world. So no one think this is a problem for them.

Just a few minutes after, they heard a loud shout from the village centre, accompanied with gong banging.

"Everyone! There are bandits! Hurry! There are bandits!"

Meng Yun pulled Bai Chunhua along towards the mountain. However, on the way, Hua glanced at her neighbour's house, Aunt Ma, who had shown her kindness before.

Aunt Ma is alone, and an elderly. It would be difficult for her to run. Hua said, "I need to find Aunt Ma."

Meng Yun hesitated but nodded. "Be careful. Quickly join us."

As the Bai family set off toward the mountain, Bai Chunhua slipped away to Aunt Ma's house. However, her house is empty.

However, Aunt Ma's house stood silent and dark. Bai Chunhua's heart sank, a foreboding sense of dread settling over her.

"Aunt Ma?" She called out in whispers, but her voice swallowed by the night.

No response.

Panic gripped her as she rushed through the empty rooms, searching for any sign of Aunt Ma.

The distant clamour of the bandits grew louder, prompting Hua to abandon her effort. She sprinted toward the mountain, her legs fueled by a mix of fear and determination.

The once peaceful village was now full of screams and chaos, each house echoing with the horrors.

The Bai family reached the foot of the mountain. The jagged rocks and towering trees were looming overhead in the dark. Bai Dalang urged the others to push on while helping his father. They had no time to waste. His brother, Bai Erlang, also has their elderly mother on his back.

Meng Yun is small in stature and cowardly in nature, but she held her youngest son's hand tightly and whispered to comfort him. "Don't be afraid, it will be fine in the morning."