Chapter 17: A Village's Little White Flower (17)

It was surprising that the country was in so much chaos now. It was something that even Duke Rong had never thought would ever happen before.

Three years ago, there was a rebellion in Hexi Province. After that, the people in several other provinces also disobeyed the imperial court's orders.

The emperor sent his men to exterminate the rebels, and the army could put a stop to them at first. However later, when the emperor cut the military pay over and over, the rebels managed to gain an opportunity to defeat the imperial army.

Not surprisingly, the northern barbarians, who was always trying to cause trouble at the border, used this opportunity while the Imperial Court was distracted. Last winter, they broke through the blockade of the Northern Iron Riders and launched a surprise attack.

This wouldn't have happened if the Iron Riders had not been short of necessary essentials. But time could not be turned back after something was already done. It was useless to regret it.

Even today, when the country was in complete chaos, the current Emperor would just blamed the defeat in the war on the uselessness of his military generals.

He had cut off many heads of the generals. It was no wonder that even Marquis Qing planned to rebel.

By now, the current dynasty basically could no longer be saved.

Prince Rong paced back and forth. His eyes, sharp and discerning, scanned the assembled generals and advisors who awaited his commands.

The prince's gaze finally settled on Hu Baoshan as he began to issue directives.

"Lieutenant Hu," Prince Rong's voice cut through the air, "I entrust you with a crucial task. You will lead a team to the north. Your mission is to ensure the uninterrupted flow of food and grass to sustain the Iron Riders."

Hu Baoshan nodded in acknowledgment, "Sir."

Prince Rong continued with his strategic commands, addressing each aspect of the logistics. Prince Rong providing detailed instructions to each commander and advisor. Maps were unfurled, strategies discussed, and contingencies planned. Before the day ended, all quartermasters, engineers, and strategists had received their assignments.

Hu Baoshan exited the grand hall, his mind already calculating the intricate details of the northern expedition. Before he could leave, Prince Rong clasped Hu Baoshan's shoulder with a firm grip. "Lieutenant Hu, I heard that your wife had just give birth to a child?"

"Yes, sir. A little girl." Hu Baoshan's expression softened at the mention of his daughter.

"You must be worried leaving home at this time." Prince Rong knew that Hu Baoshan had no other family, just his wife and newborn child. He often took leave to visit his family. "Say, why don't you take your wife here? The mansion is so big and there are empty courtyard everywhere. There are also people who can help her to have a look." He really needs Hu Baoshan to not be distracted.

"My lord..." Hu Baoshan was touched. Of course, he would be more at ease if his wife is nearer to him. He also planned to prepare a house and then take his wife here. But as a lieutenant, he doesn't have enough personal guards to accompany him. He has to wait until he reaches the fourth rank or higher to get more personal guards to guard his wife.

But of course, being able to stay inside the Duke mansion, it was naturally safe. "Thank you, My Lord."

With a final nod of assurance, Prince Rong told Hu Baoshan to prepare himself to go the north. He would send someone to pick up Bai Chunhua.

When the village heard the carriage and horses coming, he hurriedly knocked his pipe, stood up and said with a smile, "It must be that Hu family's boy gain. Let's go and have a look."