Chapter 16: A Village's Little White Flower (16)

After the bandits were gone, Jiangsu Province was getting more and more lively.

Many big merchants came and went. The south of the Yangtze River was very prosperous, and plenty of food and supplies could be produced there.

On the night the bandits came before, Hua's spiritual energy was exhausted. Without protection from spiritual energy, Bai Chunhua's body fell ill.

Even though Hu Baoshan came home as often as he could, he was promoted after the success with the bandits, making Hua not see him much and had to rely on her own practice.

As a result, it took her a while to get better.

Hua is fine with this. Hu Baoshan treated her well, and in her heart, he was the best husband in the world. She didn't understand much, but from Su Linlong's re-education, she heard that the world was in chaos now. Her husband was working under Duke Rong, so his honour and disgrace also depended on Duke Rong. Understandably, he cannot go home often.

She felt her body was healthy, but her mother was not at ease. Hua was forced to be bedridden for a while. Luckily, Aunt Ma still came over often, and Su Linlong also kept her company, so she was never bored.

When the spring turned to summer, and leaves started falling from trees, Bai Chunhua gave birth to a lovely daughter.

Bai Chuntao has been waiting to hear the news that Bai Chunhua died in childbirth, but everything went well. Mother and daughter are safe and healthy.

She crunched her fingers into a fist, and her nails painfully pierced her palm.

"It's just a daughter. What's the fuss about." She turned around and left.

Her life has not been good lately. After the bandit attack last time, the Bai family had been separated.

Grandpa and Grandma Bai followed Bai Dalang, while Bai Erlang had to build another house outside. Even though the fields are distributed fairly, and Bai Dalang and his three sons also came to help Bai Erlang build a new house, it was clear to everyone that they had been kicked out.

Her father, Bai Erlang, blamed her and was dissatisfied with her mother.

Moreover, Bai Chuntao's reputation in the village is somewhat bad.

The Green Water village is in a valley, backed by green mountains and surrounded by picturesque greenery. However, because it is far away from everywhere, there is not much entertainment, so even trivial things can be spread throughout the village.

Gossip has always been about crushing people to death under the tongue. Even though everyone thought Bai Chuntao was smart, gentle and hard-working before, after several incidents, one after another, there will inevitably be rumours about Bai Chuntao's viciousness.

Bai Chuntao is at the age of looking for marriage. Even though most of these words were circulated in private and were not made public, not many people dared to propose marriage to Bai Chuntao, just like how Bai Chunhua's reputation before.

Bai Chuntao didn't care about the harsh words from outsiders. After living for such a long time, she had already seen through the temperament of those people.

When Bai Chunhua's reputation was tattered before, many people who fanned the flames were not the aunts who were obsessed with other people's family affairs but the little girls who always dressed themselves up.

They usually look pretty and decent to other people, but the words they said in private were not less vicious than what Bai Chuntao said. Everyone actually likes to compare themselves to others. They like to step others into the mud when there is an opportunity.