Chapter Three

The two women and man that were assisting the wounded revenant had long left the infirmary at Adira's orders, remaining to gather what went down was Colette and the queen who made it their duty to comfort and talk with the traumatized victim.

Adira had walked back into the room after talking with the people who helped Oliver. "They said you were pretty lucky," The queen informed, shutting the door quietly.

"The fact that you tried to heal yourself with those bullets lodged inside of your legs was a risk. I'm amazed that you walked for so long, I'm amazed you still have legs, "

"I guess he's more than lucky," stated the girl as she crossed the room.

"What's your name?" Colette asked taking a cup of tea over to the young man who looked too inert and emaciated to have walked for hours getting to safety. The man's perseverance was admirable yet pitiful because as amazing as it was that he travelled so far, it was sad that he did it while injured, it was horrible that he needed to do it at all.

Shifting around in the bed, he tried to sit up but failed.

"My name's Oliver Haines, miss, but the horde down west from here calls me the Claw," he fumbled. Colette handed the cup of tea, making sure he grasped it properly.

At the sight of his pale yet formidable fingers, Colette swallowed, she understood why they nicknamed him Claw. His nails were somewhat long and discoloured, stained in blood and the girl could only imagine what he used it to do. She envisioned him mauling his way to freedom, slicing people down like tall grass and the thought perturbed her.

But the girl wasn't the only one who was intrigued. "You must be miss Colette, yes?"

The brunette nodded. "I'm somewhat of a celebrity among the revenants, I know," she stated, tittering afterwards.
She could remember saying similar words the first time she met Petra only to learn that she was hated among the horde of people but from recent stories, she was informed that her image wasn't viewed as a threat anymore but a peaceful one.

In the process of those thoughts, Colette wondered about Petra and Beth as she often did. She hadn't heard or seen either of the two women for a few weeks but they never left her thoughts—she hoped her ex-girlfriend was doing well, the nettlesome vampire, not so much.

"You could imagine some of the revenants' surprise when they learned that a human knew and accepted our existence but now that I've seen your miracles, my lady I'll have to tell them that you're not human at all,"

"No need," the girl chuckled.

"No, but I insis-"

"Focus, Oliver," Adira's sultry voice interjected. It incited him to catch a grip, doubling back on his affability. The young man subsequently nodded while stifling a smile. "Yes, your majesty,"

"Why did you travel so far, why did you insist on coming here, Oliver? You could've gone anywhere that was closer, convenient,"

"I knew you'd want to hear what happened from my mouth rather than news that was passed on. I also don't like some of my colleagues if I'm being honest, they can be difficult to deal with."

The queen nodded respectfully.

"I understand, and are you ready now to tell me what happened last night?"

Laying back into the bed, Oliver cradled the warm cup between his palms. Recollection suffused his mind, he could remember the smell, of burning flesh and clothing. The sulfurous scent caused bile to settle at his throat and he squeezed his eyes tight, counting in his head to distract himself but he heard in the hollowness of his mind the crackling of the fire, the explosion, the groaning, screaming humans, and revenants, and of death singing its praises.