Chapter Sixteen

"Miss Petra Areya," begins another. This being had pointy ears, and Colette realized she must've been an elf or something similar because her stature was long and slender and ethereal. There was a calmness that seeped from her aura and with those realizations, the thought that she possibly could have the prettiest magic ever seen crossed her consciousness. Those were just Colette's thoughts though and thoughts she tried not to have in that instant but it was futile.

"You've racked up quite a name for yourself," said the councilwoman.

"What can I say, I like being the centre of attention,"

As she spoke, Petra noticed Edas and several other vampires entire the room and at the realization she turned to Adira, observing the anger the woman tried to swallow down the pit of her stomach. The vixen wasn't oblivious to the conflict she created but it didn't mean she was going to get involved in this one, no not at all— she already did her work, now it was time to sit back and observe as people perpetuated a fight that had nothing to do with them.

The small group of people took seats at the far back, their rapt eyes taking in the colourful room and at her friend's scrutiny, Petra averted her gaze.

"Tell us, and explicitly, why you castigated the young human the first time around on that night?" Continued the figure.

"I am not here to sugarcoat anything councilwoman Marabel, nor am I here to lie but speak the truth; I was jealous, upset. I felt like I was wronged, robbed of something sweet the second miss Rivers' presence arrived at queen Adira's estate. She was favoured immediately by her majesty and I, being her paramour for the past decades, was tossed to the side without so much as an explanation,"

"And you felt like you were well within your rights to accost Miss Rivers?"

"Yes. Such conflict isn't taboo in neither the supernatural and the human world, people fight for their beloved. My only regret for the entire conflict was that I wasted my time fighting for someone who wouldn't have fought for me let alone take my side. I wasted my time chasing after a woman who never felt for me the way I felt for her."

Adira scratched her head, she bit down on her teeth, feeling like an ornament out on show as curious eyes found their way to her. In retrospect, the woman saw how her casually dismissing Petra, without any decency to share the end of their relationship did skew the vampire's mind. Sorrow then swept through the woman's consciousness and after the hearing, Adira promised to march right up to Petra and apologize for treating her like an alien. Her apology might not do much but she still needed to get it out of the way, she felt like it would clear her conscience.

The councilwoman who took over continued. "Tell us, what exactly did you do to miss Rivers?"

"The first time, I apprehended her, I educated her on the relationship between Adira and myself, I wanted her to know what she was destroying.
Anger consumed me at that moment and I rushed Colette, curling my fingers around her neck and I choked her. Shortly after, Samuel Warden dashed from the bushes and fought me off, giving Colette ample time to flee."

"The council calls Mr Warden to join Petra here before us,"

Quietly, Sam got down from the benches and he walked into the circle, all eyes on him. He scratched his head and stuck a hand in the pocket of his grey jeans. That day his blonde head was brushed neatly, his locks twisted into a tight bun and he even wore a nice shirt that was wrinkle-free.

"Mr Samuel Warden, also a man with an intriguing tracklist,"

"I would just like to say I'm no longer unstable nor have I done anything out of bounds for the past weeks. Queen Adira has made sure to discipline me enough,"