Chapter Twenty- Three

The silence within the vicinity at that moment, in that instant, was unbearable. Colette felt the sweat that accumulated against her creased forehead glide down until it ran off to the side of her temple and then down into the hollows of her shirt. It made her uncomfortable both her sweat and the older woman's gaze.

Since her time around the beautiful honey-coloured eyes she grew accustomed to, the girl never knew she'd have the capacity to hate it but at that point she did. The way Isabella's ambers were sharp, severely cat-like, angry, condescending, scared the shit out of her and she hated that feeling. It made it difficult for her to breathe; she forgot how to breathe and it was harder now that she had to catch her breath from the woman whisking her away like that.

Where was she even? Were they still in the manor? Why didn't she recognize anything around her? What were the woman's intentions? Where was Adira?

"You are a strange creature," those sudden words caused Colette to gasp stepping back. She cradled Lottie tighter in her arms, feeling a growl as it rolled within the dog's puny body. Even Lottie was afraid or at least defensive and she didn't blame her, Isabella was a bitch. 

"You are a strange creature indeed because to have my child fuss over you is both a painful and intriguing thing to witness. Who are you and what are you? There was a point where Adira was apprehensive towards your kind,"

Isabella observed Colette. She was so small in stature, she was fair and had bright forest coloured eyes that poked at her the way hers took that peep into her soul. She didn't particularly like the colour green but she also didn't hate it but what she knew was that she had questions, so, so many.

"What is it about you to have caused such a ruckus withi-"

"I need for you to take me back to Adira and McLean, back to the manor,"

"Oh but we are still in a manor, just not the one you're used to," answered Isabella.

She stepped closer to Colette and the girl made a sound expressing her fear.

"I think it's about time that you and I become properly acquainted."

"I don't want to get to know you," Stated the girl blankly and Isabella laughed. It was a quiet, feminine laugh. One that reminded her of Adira's when she was in her playful mood. Was Isabella In a playful mood? If so, why?

"Why not, you are technically my daughter-in-law, so I think it's expected of us to become familiar with one another. Especially now more than ever being that I was appointed as overseer to you. Do you want for there to be unfamiliarity the entire time I have you?"

"You did that didn't you?" Asked Colette. She saw the way Isabella paced around her, so slow in strides, her long feet glided across the ground. She was graceful, very feminine and that was probably the only thing that differed greatly between her and her daughter and Colette was glad. She didn't know if she would've particularly enjoyed all that feminity in her love. She enjoyed the bit of masculinity that was present in the queen, it was interesting.

"You made them prosecute Adira, the revenants and I rather than the ones who caused the trouble didn't you?"

"We prosecuted everyone, it's just that some of you were easier to find than others. Also, I wouldn't dare worry myself over things others could do for me."

"You're sick!"

"Thank you," Isabella grinned. She neared Colette, watching as she backed up into a table, hitting her hip against the thing causing it to rattle.

The brunette winced.

"Hurting yourself for no reason? Hmm, what a shame,"

The older devil chuckled stepping away. She observed the way Lottie had begun to bare her teeth out at her. The dog was a cute thing, and she loved the blend of colours in her fur.