Chapter Nineteen

"No, no, no..." Colette mumbled as she was held tightly by McLean. She wasn't pleading at the fight that ensued between Adira and Edas at the lies that were spilt to end or for the woman not to be harmed because, truly, that wasn't much of a fight where she needed to worry for the queen and it was simply because the man barely being strong enough to stop a blow from the queen but what caused the girl to worry and tremendously was the sight of the dark figure nearing the commotion.

Isabella didn't transform nor did she look angry or annoyed but oddly calm. Her rapt, amber gaze was fixed to the figure who flung people out of her way like they were nothing but hollow bones and shells. They tumbled against the floor and the walls, their bodies bending and twisting in all forms as they then struggled to either regain consciousness or failed to have moved entirely. 

Iradessa, the elder werewolf and Victor the preeminent presence among the infamous vampires tried to pry her off the bloodied Edas but Adira manipulated their bodies to stay still. And they were like nothing but statues bowing down to their majesty, screeching their disapproval.

Marabel, the elder among the elves also tried to step up but she caught on quickly that it was futile to get involved and decided to refrain from getting in between the livid deal devil and her target.

The beast-like Citadel guards, in the upheaval, ushered some of the onlookers, yelling at them to get to safety as even the giant pulled and heaped those who were visibly on Adira's side, tossing them like small toys around the room. He rooted up the chairs, but truly his attention was getting to Isabella and how he wanted to reciprocate that notion, causing harm was his intent but he was a smart man, and one who knew better than to cause his demise so soon trying to be silly apprehending such a powerful figure. Instead, he took his anger out on those in his way.

"Mclean, please don't let her hurt Adira," Colette pulled on the older man's shirt after her gaze never left the brooding mother who sauntered through the almost empty, yet disorderly room.

Hopeful, praying internally as tears welled up in her eyes, the brunette felt a doom settle in the pit of her stomach. She watched Isabella near Adira, the queen's back had been to her the whole time.

Least expected, the older devil moved quickly, putting herself in her majesty's line of view, blocking her from further blows to those who tried to pry Edas from her grasp.

Hyperventilating, Adira's fiery eyes locked onto her mother's deadpanned face. They glared at one another for several very long seconds, their unspoken yet obvious hate curling behind their glossy ambers like thick smoke.

"Prohibere,"
"Stop,"

"Manere extra viam meam!"
"Stay out of the way!"

"Stop this nonsense, Adira!" Isabella said in a low timbre, it was so low that some enunciation of words could be mistaken for a growl.

The woman's face finally contorted with her distaste and hatred of having to mitigate.

"Who are you to speak to me in such a manner? Do you think it's because you birth me into this world means you get the say, the audacity?" Adira's voice was harsh. She was in her vain, proudful headspace, high on that pentacle of power and vengeance to be mindful of her the words she uttered.

Truly, the woman's rage uncoiled as she descried her mother's baleful presence. And she remembered how Isabella embarrassed her in front of everyone merely minutes ago, she remembered how much she resented her for all the injuries in the past, she remembered all the heartache and the hostility and the need to forge a reaction inundated.

Who was she to intervene? What gave this wicked woman the right to speak to her at all? Questioned the true devil in the queen's thoughts. In her ear that fiery rage, that innate devil whispered its bitterness, wanting, encouraging her to cause havoc. It wanted her to make her mother relent, to realize once more that she was almost as powerful as she was. But before she could do anything to prove her predominance and strength, Adira felt a harsh palm across her face.