Chapter Twenty-One

Colette lingered behind Adira as they climbed down the last of the stairs, crossing the grounds that separated them from what was about to unfurl. The young girl allowed the queen's tall frame to shade her like a willow tree, blocking her from view until she saw. She was advised by both Mclean and her majesty to stay put but the recalcitrant girl never intended to submit so easily when so much was still undetermined.

Mclean did not lie she thought finally peeking around Adira, for she spotted Isabella, changed out from her dark gown. She now stood in the hall with a beautiful white dress, her black hair brushed neatly and braided around her forehead and observing her, Colette and even Adira wondered where she found the time to do that. Aside from the woman's obvious swiftness in changing, the sight of several faces caught the two women's attention. Among these strange faces, was the man her majesty saw earlier. There was no sight of Wolf and Adira thought it strange, who could the stranger be and why was he in her home?

"Did you come here to belittle me in my home as well?" Her voice was strident, filled with animosity and bitterness and the edge in her usually sultry voice pained Colette's heart.

"Is that what you call it?"

Asked Isabella, tilting her head to the side as she observed her child. Adira's skin was patched up around her arm and on her cheekbone laid several scratches that were clustered together. The sight of her bruises did satisfy the woman's sadistic mind but what didn't was that she too had bruises but bruises she hid very well.

"Why are you here Isabella? You don't often come here let alone come after that moment at the citadel,"

"You seem to have forgotten that we were in the middle of a hearing where both of your fates were on the line. Don't you forget how you screwed that up, Adira, causing a scene, hurting countless," answered the queen's mother. She pinned her dark gaze to her daughter and only ever allowed her focused glare to move to Colette every few seconds or so where she dipped her up and down slowly. 

The queen's anger flared at the sight of the obvious hostility that lingered in Isabella's demeanour and at the recognition, she stepped closer to her mother's smug face and when she did, the four citadel guards who were present stepped forward, making it obvious that they would pounce if any wrong moves were made.

"I need you to leave," sneered the younger devil.

"Oh but I can't do that," said Isabella "And if you think I'm saying this just because think again. Take a look outside,"

The woman's unusual words caused her daughter to frown. For a second, Adira was hesitant, she didn't know what to expect but eventually, she walked over to one of the windows and pulled the curtain to the side. Out in the warm night stood several dozen citadel guards draped in their heavy armoury. Their dark faces laid straight ahead but their trained ears listened keenly for Isabella's command to strike.

"A decision was made and it was unanimous, of course,"

Isabella carefully moved her hands from behind her back and clasped in her grip was a piece of paper to which she uncoils the black ribbons that were tied around it.

"This is the direct orders stemming from that unanimous decision of the twenty-plus elders on the council's board. The texts say verbatim: "A detestable act of such nature that the council has not seen for decades was attempted by none other than the daughter of the reputable deal devil, Isabella. This atrocity should not be overlooked and in the keeping of the principles of order and righteousness, you Adira will be put to face the repercussions of your sins. You are henceforth stripped of your power and nobility and will be set to atone for your shortcomings. By this order, you will serve seventy-five years in exile and you will be treated as an outcast by all. With immediate effect, you will be removed from your throne and the council will thereafter guide your subjects until said time has passed,"