Chapter Sixty-Nine

Well into midnight when all the wine had finished and the food had been eaten, right down to the last deviled egg, the people were taken back to the home, some begrudgingly, some overly merry from having consumed the alcohol given to them. A pair at a time or a small group was taken away while they still laughed and interacted among themselves.

The merpeople and their lords and ladies had gathered around, exchanging sentiments to the queens. They promised to rally several thousand of their finest to join forces with the land dwellers to begin the recall of order and the revenants and werewolves couldn't be happier to hear it. Sure, they had sent people to combat the influx of detestable crimes earlier but they weren't enough to quell everything but that was different now.
They were no longer left to their own accord but had a queen, someone they needed to get to know and likewise but a figurehead nonetheless.

Once every last person had left the old church, Adira lingered behind to say her goodbyes to Wolf. She needed to exit the building and once she did, she found him out sitting on the steps. He was unfazed by the cold air that fanned around them and so was she.

When he'd heard her beside him, he turned to the side, his smile affable and kind.

"Those merpeople sure know how to party," commented wolf and the woman chuckled.

"They're so flamboyant and happy," added Adira. "My revenants need that, they can be so grumpy at times and always so mean and pugnacious,"

"This is coming from you, the queen of revenants, the woman who shapes and moulds all her kind to be exactly who she wants them to be?"

Adira groaned at those words. "Well, what can I say, sometimes it gets exhausting when rough, macho exteriors are all you see,"

The devil nodded at the comprehension of those words. "This union turned out to be useful to not only you but your subjects. You'll both be exposed to a different way of life, and some of them might not be too eager to be a part of new experiences but they shouldn't be too hasty in disregarding it."

"I see,"

The two people listened to the calming sounds of the waves washing against the rocky shore, their minds inundated by the day's events.

Adira felt an influx of happiness and accomplishment whereas Wolf was just happy to be there seeing that all of them were alive. He also knew the woman sensed that he was sticking around for a reason and he decided to tell her whatever she needed to hear without further delay.

"She confided in me, just before we'd left the firmament with Scarlett," he began and turned to find amber eyes trained to him.

"Isabella wasn't going to come, it would've just been me but something changed. She told me she'd had a conversation with Colette and that opened her eyes, which left me taken aback. Those words were so strange to hear, especially coming from her,"

"Even Scarlett was amused when she said she was going to show up with us. For a moment we thought she might've been sick or had lost her mind,"

The queen chuckled and her laughter made Wolf join in until they composed themselves, warm gazes drifting back out into the waters that susurrated

"I know you're entire life she's been this enigmatic force that seemed inherently wicked and cruel but I can tell you she wasn't always like that. Most of us knew of the ongoing affair with Scarlett but we never knew the details as to what truly went on but whatever happened among them had changed your mother. She became spiteful and greedy and from my interpretation, those things usually come from a broken heart or grief."

"You don't need to explain anything, especially not in her absence,"

"But I want to. Not only did she soil what could've been a lovely relationship with you but she did the same with us, her siblings, her friends. That's slowly reversing though and this is why I'm saying this. Isabella, despite her ways, can be a wonderful person and I can see that she's crumbling but in a good way, you just need to give her time, which you have plenty of,"