Chapter Sixty- Five

Cuddled in each other's arms, her majesty rubbing her hand against Colette's silky hair, she listened to the peaceful breathing that came from her girl. It calmed her soul, grounding and centring her even more than she already was.

She didn't know if the girl had been sleeping but she figured so. A resting Colette was her favourite version of the girl, for it was there she could truly admire her without having to make her feel self-conscious for her lingering gaze.

Adira was about to readjust them both so that she'd be staring into her love's resting face when the girl snuggled further up against her, gripping her hand to keep her in place.

"So that's what you do whenever I'm asleep?" Questioned Colette.

"Ah, I've been caught." Whispered the queen, her voice still filled with husk and a bit of exhaustion. She wanted to chuckle at the notion of Colette catching her in the act of admiring her sleeping self.

"You cannot blame me for admiring what is mine, mon amour"

"Same but I'd do it just before you'd wake up most mornings."

Adira decided to nudge Colette so she'd turn over for them to face each other. Carefully the girl turned, still affected by how beautiful the woman was even after seeing her post-coitus many, many times before. 

Adira nudged her nose with the tip of hers, her eyes glinting with an abundance of love. "Why do you look at me while I sleep?" She asked.

"Because I can, because I want to. I'm amazed every time I look at you. I'm amazed because out of all the places you or I could've been we ended up here in each other's company— I ended up here beside someone who's as wonderful and enigmatic as the moon and the stars in the sky. And I look at you because it fills my heart with something, and I like that feeling of fullness. I love what looking at you or being around you does to me,"

There were instances of silence as her majesty allowed the kind words to dissolve in her mind. They made her feel giddy, so undoubtedly loved and adored. She'd been favoured by many, many people in the past but something about Colette's attention and adulation surpassed those. Her acknowledgement of her existence was like God finally speaking to you directly after an unanswered prayer, it was overwhelming and special.

"Well, I share similar thoughts if not virtually the same. I look at you because it gives and perpetuates even for a bit, a sense of peace. Watching you sleep reminds me of how delicate you are, but also how strong and fearless you are. I remember the first time you slept in the manor, you didn't care that you could've been watched, which you weren't but it was the way you just decided not to fight it.

I remember passing by the room that night and hearing your soft snores. It baffled me that someone could be so unbothered and fearless in the vicinity of strangers,"

"You never told me you did that," frowned Colette.

"I did lots of things, but never anything out of the ordinary."

Cupping the queen's face, her slender fingers brushed against her freckled cheek, Colette smiled.

"You've always cared for me, from the moment I came into your life you've always made sure that I was safe. Sometimes it didn't seem that way but that was because I was too stubborn to see it."

"You can be stubborn," replied Adira and Colette rolled her eyes.

"Shut up,"

The woman chuckled. She snuggled up beside her love, resting her forehead against the girl. They stayed that way for a moment, listening to the other's quiet breathing, their thoughts filled with wonderful memories and anticipated happiness and peace. Their hearts were filled with contentment and joy, something they never thought would've been the case.