Chapter Fifty- Four

The air, palpable and moisture smelled of a meld of copper and dirt. This was so because of the hundreds that had been injured or died during the clash. Their blood coated the ground like natural polish, except it wasn't natural.

The noses of those concentrated on the performance of violence were unaware of this smell but the people who did not actively participate noticed this awful odour; truth be told, they noticed many things: the lightning that flashed, illuminating the place that was now a battleground, the cries of surrounder from some and the lone vampires who would stick their formidable fangs into their victims only to suck them dry, revenants and wolves who'd bite the flesh off the bones of their victims. These things were prevalent, a perpetual cycle that proved to have no end as yet.

The blackened sky they fought beneath was consumed by the smoke of the burning bodies, trees, earth and even some of the buildings within the estate and as it rained soot smudged their faces. The burst of the rain did not come as a surprise so many were not fazed by the black droplets that fell, bashing against the anger-filled people, showing to them just how damaging their battle and that of the heavens was, but did it stop them? No. They were too busy sawing the heads off their enemies from their bodies, ramming spears into partially armoured sides, tossing four-legged and two-legged beings across the sky like toys, spitting arrows into the air like toothpicks; Colette descried this and it was why she tried incessantly to get her family out of the danger.

Moments after Adira and the Councilwoman left, Hans, Felix, her family and several other revenants showed up and with them came unsolicited company. And like a third wave, bringing a harsher hit of disaster and turmoil with them, a plethora of beings once again marched onto the estate wielding a variety of weapons.

At the encouragement of the revenants and Aksel, the brunette took her family and Lottie into what was left of the manor, which was an insignificant portion, to hide them. There were several tunnels beneath the land, and from what she could've remembered, a prison-like room they'd kept Petra in at the start of the dilemma that could've rendered safety and housing for them until the violence passed or so she thought.

Steadily walking down the hall, torch in hand due to the power outage that overtook the manor, the brisk footsteps of several people filled the vicinity as Colette led the way down the narrow pathway.

"It stinks in here. It smells like rats and old water," confided her little sister, Chloe.

"Yeah, well it's the bottom of an archaic building, Chlo it's supposed to stink," responded the brunette. Her voice was ladened with stress, and even as she led the way with the torch, her hands shook violently despite convincing herself that she was capable of being brave.

How could she not be troubled though? The sounds of war were heard although muffled. So much so that it further traumatized her; she'd never heard wolves howl so aggressively before, nor had she ever heard a giant's war cry but in that hour, she heard it all.

"Here-" the brunette paused when she was almost close to the room. Her feet were suddenly consumed by ankle-high water and she looked down quickly.

Pointing the torch outward, Colette gasped. Water bubbled to the surface of the hall, muddied and somewhat pungent. She panicked, dragging her feet through it as she came upon the door, pushing it open afterwards. Once again she discovered the water was there, just as unclear and pungent of the earth. That probably happened due to the giants smashing themselves into the place. The underground pipes probably couldn't handle the pressure.

"Jesus Christ, is this what we have to stay in?" Questioned Christa.

"No, um." Fumbled Colette. She turned to Hans and the young man was just as confused as she was. If the room was flooded, the tunnels probably were too but she didn't want to tell them that just yet, no she couldn't bring herself to say it. It was scary enough that they were attacked before they showed up there, she didn't want to squeeze more fear into their veins by letting them know they were probably fucked.