Chapter Twelve

His presence, although expected was unwanted and the moment Edas stepped through the tall door, he sensed the heaviness of Petra's essence. She seemed panicked and annoyed and that told the man all he needed to know, that and the smell of the human that lingered in her home. It reeked of it if he was being quite honest and the look on his face, he was sure, left his friend plotting ways that they never bumped into the girl. And Edas enjoyed that, making people uncomfortable.

"I'm proud of your accomplishments, Petra," he managed to say, breaking his gaze from her.

The woman wasn't pleased by his words because beneath it, she sensed his prejudice and condescendence. She sensed the preeminence that her friend thought made him special.

"Thank you," she feigned her civility nonetheless by softly curling the ends of her lips.

"It suits you, this home."

"That's the exact thing I said when I first saw it. The space is nice, it's worth the money,"

"I see," Responded Edas. The man's quiet footsteps tapped against the hardwood floor but the rhythm of it was mismatched, and apparently on purpose.

"Must've cost you a fortune,"

"Even if it did, after I bought it, it wasn't anymore,"

"How?"

Petra grinned. "I'm a woman with my ways, don't worry," her smile quickly dissipated and at the solemnity of her face, Edas observed it.

"What brings you out here all so suddenly?"

"I come bearing news,"

"News?"

"Yes, about the beloved queen of revenants. Her sweet, innocent little girl, the one who's tucked beneath her wings like a wounded chicken got caught using her powers," he dropped the bomb so nonchalantly causing Petra's eyes to widen.

"What?"

"Late last night," Edas mentioned, walking around the room, his eyes everywhere. He liked the interior of the home, it was bougie and nice and everything his friend's character was like.

"She sent her little henchmen to do her dirty bidding. I heard she offered them a lot to keep the rumours at a low,"

"What exactly is a lot?"

"Whispers have it that she, Queen Adira, offered the parties involved several million to keep their lips," the man gesticulated, running her fingers by his mouth. "Sealed,"

"What happened, I'm so confused?"

Petra was indeed perplexed. The woman needed to take a seat to gather her thoughts. This information was all so new and sudden and so unexpected and a bit hard to swallow.

"She went out to a little restaurant where she pushed a man around. He reported that she attacked him for no reason, slamming his body against the walls multiple times with and I quote 'her fucking mind'. The rumours have begun and so started the embellishment of the truth but I received my information from a credible source.

Petra scoffed. "Credible source," she mocked.

Even she, an impulsive liar, a defiant, unorthodox and sometimes difficult person recognized the tailored lie of the story. The vixen knew more than anyone else that the queen's new boo hadn't the faintest bone in her body that was dedicated to being violent. Colette wasn't cut out for it, except, maybe in a fit of rage she might be or protecting herself and that had the vampire thinking— Colette probably defended herself.