Chapter Five

Pls be aware that I got the french from google. If it's messed up I do apologise. But if any of you know how to speak it, pls help me correct it...

×

"He lied to me," Adira said, gripping the cool cup or more like choking it since she held it so tightly. Each time she moved to lift it to her head, the melting ice cubes would clash together and or against the glass, filling the space with the soft sounds, aiding the quiet atmosphere.

Her counterpart, the older, calmed revenant sat with his legs crossed, cognizant of the queen's frustration. It wasn't often that he saw her drink hard liquor but when she did it meant she was grieving in her own way or detested the vicissitudes surrounding her; at this point, he was unsure which one it could be.

"He looked me dead in the eyes McLean and he lied. Excuse pathétique pour un homme,"

"C'est un lâche, faible comme ils viennent mais un homme intelligent quand même," answered McLean.

"Je vais prendre sa putain de vie," Adira leaned the bourdon to the back of her head and swallowed without making a face. "C'est une promesse,"

"I advise you to contact the council, your majesty rather than do a regrettable thing. I know that the idea of them taking control of the matter perturbs you but you need their help. They have the power to intervene and possibly even to quell the unrest. Utilize their existence, please."

The woman studied the older man in quietude.

"I know you don't want too but you should. Save yourself the drama, save yourself Isabella's irritation,"

Adira rolled her eyes at the mention of her mother's name.

"She's not a concern to me," she reached for the liquor and poured herself another round. The man's blue gaze stayed at the bottle of alcohol the woman nearly ingested herself, it sat half-empty.

"I understand but you know how she gets,"

"Hostile, arrogant, ostentatious, horrible," answered Adira. She nearly filled the glass the fourth time around and then sat back in her chair. Her many rings sparkled, some even tapped against the glass as she anxiously moved her fingers around.

"I know what Isabella's like, and the recent affairs has nothing to do with her. She has no right sticking her nose in my business,"

"But heed my advice, write to the council, let them know that you're opened to the hearing and that all members on your behalf will adhere to their orders,"

The queen continued to study McLean. She'd offered him a drink but like always he refused. It didn't bother her that he did but she wondered how the man coped with his stress. For several centuries they were each other's confidant yet Adira had no clue what the man did in his spare time to unwind. She didn't feel like it was her business to know and she guessed that was why some things were still unknown but she was curious now.

"The last time the council got involved in my affairs it ended horribly,"

"I'm cognizant of the past which is why, Adira, I implore you to be wise,"

"I would like to keep them out of my business for as long as I can,"

"Don't be obstinate,"

The woman frowned. "Who are you to speak such things to me?" She asked casually but there was still ice in her tone but ice the man was used to.

Every once in a while the two people would bicker the way a child and their parent would— it wasn't a secret that Adira treated McLean like a father figure and would give him all the privilege one could hold in her presence. It also wasn't a secret that the older revenant loved and cared for the queen the way he would his child, despite him having no children but even he knew at times she was as stubborn as a mule and he seemed the only one capable of getting past her resolve but there were times he wasn't able to get through to her though.