Chapter Thirty- Eight

Curled up beside the girl in the warmest embrace she'd ever felt, Petra gazed at those equally warm eyes that peered into her soul, bringing into fruition the best version of herself that the old her would've been repulsed by.

With their gazes locked in that stillness, the woman wondered how life had come at her so fast? Several months ago she was content being someone's paramour, content being there for them whenever they needed her to be. She was used to being brushed away so nonchalantly and now she had her person. It was crazy.

And Beth, as she carefully brushed her thumb across Petra's cheeks, carefully touching her nose studied the adulation she found swirling in the woman's eyes and she too ruminated and reflected. Being there made her feel cosy, like she was wrapped in a thick blanket in the freezing cold. This blanket made her feel safe and secure even when the winds howled its ferocity. It's the only way she could describe the feeling she experienced knowing that the vampire was hers and hers alone.

"What?" She asked on the brink of a soft chuckle as Petra never stopped staring at her the way she did.

"Nothing, I just can't help but bask in the peace that I feel being here with you,"

"Oh stop it," blushed Beth. She tried to get up to hide her embarrassment but the older woman held her still.

"Why do you do that, why do you try to run off or hide each time I say something you never expect to hear?"

"Because you said it, I never expect to hear all those wonderful things. I'm so used to the opposite that when I hear them I don't know how to act,"

Petra shrugged, quietly kissing the girl's forehead.

"You need to get used to them, I love giving my woman praises. I love to see my person smiling and always in a pleasant mood,"

The blonde chuckled. "Great, I'll try not to die from the embarrassment nor a heart attack from your sweetness,"

"I'd revive you," replied Petra and at that point Beth realized she was serious and a whole world of possibilities flashed before her mind.

She was inches away from immortality, she was a lover to a woman people have for years tried to prove existed, she was a lover to a woman people wrote fantasy novels about, romanticized, dressed like on Halloween, feared but she was nothing like they depicted.

The people were wrong. Petra wasn't an inherent monster or incapable of human-like feelings and experiences despite being undead. She was like a beautiful, foreign flower, the only thing about this flower was that it was protected by thorns. Its delicate petals were guarded by spikes within its vines, stems and leaves.

"That's both tempting and frightening," the girl eventually replied to the woman's utterance of her being revived.

"And one day we need to have a conversation about that, the dynamic of our relationship," said Petra. She got up out of bed and her back was to the girl and in that instant, she saw yet again that empty circle in the centre of her back.

"Would this woman, Adira ever lift that spell from you?" The question changed the path of their conversation.

Seconds later, the vampire found her hand touching the spot she knew the seal laid. Its presence was always there because she felt like something was pressing lightly in the depth of her back, and such awareness was the seal doing its job. Reminding her never to go near Colette and her family was its job, however, Beth's question was a valid one.

Would Adira ever lift the seal?

The possibility existed; Adira wasn't an evil witch nor did she gained satisfaction from being wicked to people.