Chapter Forty

Surrounding the vicinity was soft hums from a piano being played by a feeble looking man shackled to his seat. The man would play even harder each time he caught the dirty glares from the shadowless people in the large space. It was a look of hunger, of hatred and such a thing left the man strumming away at the instrument for his life.

The fine, flamboyant host himself looked across the table seeing his wife and peers as they engaged with one another that wonderful evening. And by the noblemen and women's side at the table were other humans chained to their bosoms, their sullen faces screamed horror and dismay which fuelled the hearts of the undead. Crimson lips and sharp teeth sprawled in synergistic horror to the humans, making them whisper their final prayers to the heavenly father.

"Is this not wonderful?" Edas started to say in his proud tone. "Riches, blood, money, property?" he expounded. "We've acquired so much within the last several months, way more than our so call leaders have ever gotten for us throughout the thousands of years our kind existed." He said in a room filled with his once superiors.

"Our enemies are on the verge of losing their power and the reigns have now come to us,"

At his words, the people vainly chuckled, others frowned bitterly as their fangs protruded in disgust but that was all they could do. Not only did the man entertain his socialite, blood-sucking friends but several of their allies who enjoyed watching the world crumble ever so slow.

And among the table of people were councilman Victor, lady Angela and other recognized faces within the fae, vampire, giant and orc community.

Additionally, amid the gathering were people who felt like there was nothing to celebrate. The recent killing of an important member from a specific group was not something to celebrate, especially when the most prominent person that died was close to the revenant queen. Some felt like it was a death sentence to all but chose silence rather than expressing their concerns.

Calais, her brother and their friends who agreed with the latter sat in the other room, quietly listening to the expensive laughter and excitement that spilt from the dining hall. They chose not to be a part of the celebration directly but stayed close enough to enjoy the food and the wine and the humans.

"I could already feel it coming," said a man among the purple-eyed siblings and they glared at him, his dark beady gaze flickered to them nervously and at their attention, he took a quick swing at the bottle clutched within his brown hand.

"Ever since we burned that man alive I've been having visions, haunting ones too. They're going to burn this place to the ground ya know," he said and the siblings and other two regarded him closely.

"They could never burn this place, do you see the size of those guns Edas has given to Reginald and the others? They couldn't even get within a few meters of this place let alone burn it,"

"I never said they'll burn this building," he retorted, his chest expanding in somewhat faster movements. The monstrous flames he remembered seeing within his drifting thoughts caused his throat to tighten as he dwelled in the visions. Albert felt like he was there, feeling the heat and hearing the haunting crackles of the fire.

"You're full of shit," spat Castiel. "You're just thinking too deep on the whole thing, and that isn't helping either," pointed the redhead at the nearly empty bottle.

"And you're not thinking too deep?" asked the man and his friends readied themselves for an alcohol-induced rant.

"Maybe you should think a little deeper," the vampire added sanctimoniously.

"From the moment we brought that man to be burnt everyone's mood changed, why's that? And have you ever seen a body take that long to fry, Tiel? Did the bones of the countless people we burnt in the past ever cry out that loudly as they snapped?" The man's eyes watered. He bit his lip trying his best to quell the queasiness within his stomach.