Chapter Fifty- Seven

Colette felt the gazes of nearly everyone on her as she ran to Adira. These gazes were heavy on her back and she felt the pity that flowed her way but at a time like that, she didn't need their pity. She didn't want anyone feeling bad for her because what was she going to do with pity? It couldn't have done anything for her, not when the queen was injured and had now fallen to the swampy ground with that giant spear sitting in her chest.

Almost everyone was too stunned to do anything; no one moved a muscle, not Sam, not Aksel, not the other survivors. The scream Colette had done shattered all of their eardrums and left its sound burned into the tables of their mind. Trauma had done this to them, they became useless and were reduced to secretive whispers. They were also too busy breaking their necks trying to observe what truly happened, well everyone but Colette.

The girl had never run that hard in her entire life she thought as water splashed around with each step her feet made. She'd never run that hard not even when Isaac and Samuel had chased her that night at the river, not when Petra attacked her the first time, nor when the man in the bar had tried to grab her the time she and Oliver snuck out, not even when Ouza and Edas attempted to take her yesterday but that early morning was different though, even the reality was different.

Colette felt like the more she ran the further the distance between her and the woman grew; was she running in place? Was she going crazy or did it happen? She wasn't crazy, never. Nothing resonated anymore for the girl, not sounds nor the visuals of anything. Pitch black she saw, but in the distance was this fire that was getting smaller and smaller by the second.

It did not resonate that she'd blacked out mid strides, but she was blacked out though not the common way most people did. Her blur, in reality, did not send her to sleep in a fetus-like position, no. It did not register to the girl either that she incited the earth beneath their feet to vibrate. The entire estate shook violently. Parts of the manor that hadn't crumbled before did in that instant and it frightened the wide-eyed people.

The water sitting in the land bubbled, almost as if it boiled but it was neither hot nor cold. However, this water was attracted to Colette as she stood, hyperventilating. It coagulated, forming things and or rushing uncontrollably faster to her.

The girl's tattoos shone brightly as she cried. In her mind, she was still running to the woman, but in the physical it was different. She stood still, like a soldier standing at attention, while all the water rushed and rushed her way.

The tens of merpeople, revenants, Aksel, Sam, the wounded Iradessa and her friends were worried for her. A few of the revenants broke away to try and assist the queen but couldn't make it past the water that stood like a barrier between them and Colette. Almost everyone tried to do something, whether it be to flee even.  Isabella though was too occupied to have noticed any of it for she wrestled her brother Jez into submission and was too busy wrapping her whip around his neck, stopping the air from getting to his lungs.

He clawed at her face, his grotesque fingernails dug into her darkened skin, marring her tattoos but the woman wasn't fazed. She wrapped the whip tighter, tossing Jez onto his stomach where she sat on top of his back and she choked and pressed her body into his. Centuries of animosity, hatred, anger, trauma held onto that whip with her and they were the ones to kill him, not the woman herself. She was too busy focusing on her breathing, too busy listening to the wind that howled in her ears, too busy focusing on keeping her cool despite not keeping her cool.

Frowning, the woman rose from over the lifeless body after the deed was done. Making sure to keep the whip tied around his neck, she saw the look of shock imbued on his rigid face. It was only as she rose from the man's back did she realize two things: she'd broken his wings in the pursuit of his demise and that the idiots around were escaping some unseen doom.