Chapter Forty- Six

Gripping the hem of her shorts as they drove around the woodland areas rumoured to have been occupied by giants, Colette kept her eyes peeled because for some reason she felt like something would poke its grotesque head out from the woods, perhaps one of those gigantic beings she'd seen during the hearing and swing at them.
The girl felt like she needed to be on a tight lookout for any sign of danger or obscurity but the only thing that was there definitely was trees.

These trees swayed and danced as the winds spoke nicely to them. The girl knew there was nothing behind them but fear and her imagination played a key role in her vivid thoughts.

Such paranoia was innate. Colette often felt a type of way whenever she'd leave the manor and end up there at the area dubbed 'no man's land. Something about the eerie land surrounding the estate made the hairs at the back of her neck stand up. She always felt like many horrible things had taken place there or would potentially take place and she guessed it was why she always dreaded that part. If there were other ways and means for her to travel to and from the manor, she would gladly take advantage but unfortunately, there was no other option.

Noting the time on her phone in a way to distract herself, the brunette counted down the time, they were less than an hour away. She was close to Adira, she felt it and because of that fragments of her anxiety dissolved into the abyss of her subconscious.

The longing, the concerns, the excitement. She'd only been gone for a day and a couple of hours but it felt like forever since she'd last seen her love and she was so ecstatic to see her again. To apologize and speak about things.

"Do you need us to make a stop anywhere before we head back miss?" Asked the revenant who drove and the girl looked up to see the strange eyes in the rearview mirror looking her way.

The man merely asked because the next set of roads they were approaching had no cuts that led into any of the nearby towns so whatever they wanted now or along the drive, they needed to take care of it then.

"Oh, no that's fine, thank you for asking though,"

Colette received a head nod and quickly resumed staring out the window.

The sun had started to set on the horizon, peeking through some of the trees and casting its orange thang into her eyes— she thought it was beautiful. Such complete serenity even amid impending chaos. But that moment of admiration didn't last for the girl was startled out of her seat.

Just as they passed that point where she could remember being attached by Petra, she swore she saw someone or something standing in the thinning trees just passively staring at their passing ride. It made her do a double-take but the car had already driven way past so there wasn't much to see.

She kept looking back and then to the two men in the front hoping that one of them might've seen something but it seemed like she was the only one who did.

Adira was probably right thought the girl, when she sat back in her seat and had closed her eyes hoping to quell her racing heart, she experienced nothing but paranoia. There was nothing there, just trees and trees that stretched for miles. Why was she so worried?

On a more logical note, there was no way the Giants would stay in the area. Maybe, just maybe they didn't settle there. Maybe they came above but probably left and the disturbed area was just a hint of their presence, that was also a possibility.

Chuckling, Colette combed her fingers through her hair. She laughed at her absurdity and as she did, the car came to an unexpected stop causing her heart to speed up again.

Screeching tires, her being yanked and thrown back into her seat, bags toppling from beside her, the girl gripped both sides, holding on for dear life.