Chapter Twenty- Two

"You have no say in this," Stated the older devil. She observed the way Adira stood like a guardian in front of the girl whose glossy eyes were frantic and untamed. The young girl was slowly beginning to hyperventilate, she still tried to decipher what was happening at that moment. Were they taking her away from Adira? Why did everything backfire the way it did? Shouldn't one person at least have been on their side? Why were they sabotaging them? Was any of this real?

"What about Edas, what about Petra? The vampires who took it upon themselves to exact justice, did the council sanction them too or were you only concerned about me?" Asked Adira and the question caused her mother to scoff.

"You think I care that much about you to have influenced the other's decision? Do you think I'd step out of my way just to make you the centre of attention?" Asked Isabella with a twinkle in her eyes that revealed she did influence the council's decision and she wasn't even ashamed that everyone saw.

The woman slowly paced in front of the patient eyes, her ego inflated knowing that she was the spectacle in the people's gaze.

"You can not act a fool, you cannot take things into your own hands when we had it under control, you could not have been a spoiled little thing and not expect for there to be consequences,"

"It was obvious that things weren't going to be in our favour the moment you stepped into that room,"

Isabella chuckled. "Hunny, was it that obvious?"

Adira turned to Colette in the height of her mother's self-righteousness, her little games and she noticed the girl's fear and concerns and it caused her stomach to tighten. How Adira wished to shelter her girl from all that was happening but even if she did, running away from the issue would only make it worse.

"We're leaving," she decided to say anyway, her tone stern, her words fixed.

The older devil's face turned into a blank wall, her ample lips stretched into a thin line and at the sight of Adira holding Colette's hand, Isabella's smugness was snatched away all so suddenly.

"Guards, fetch the girl and escort my lovely daughter out of this manor."

A citadel guard attempted to grip at Colette at the order of the councilwoman but she panicked, and rightfully so. In the heat of the moment, the obscure tattoos that would light up within her skin whenever her powers were invoked revealed themselves, as bright as ever.

The girl slipped her eyes shut tightly, thinking, wishing, hoping that the guard would go away or disappear, anything but come near her and that thought alone caused the man to be dragged away from her body, slamming through the window and into the courtyard with such violence everyone flinched.

At the sight of that movement, Isabella was left in total astonishment; she was speechless. She observed the girl just as her daughter and everyone else. Colette cradled herself, her eyes squeezed together with a passion. The woman was curious yet angry and so she reacted.

"I said to bring the girl to me!" She said slower, harsher and another guard stepped forward but Adira subdued him. She incited the armour around his body to stick against the ground and at her reaction to her command, Isabella intervened.

She marched right up to Adira, looking her directly into her amber fire but Adira backed away with each step. It wasn't because she was afraid, it was because she tried to garner the last bit of discipline she could to keep from fighting again.

Colette on the other hand had stepped back into McLean's hold, to which the man shielded her.

Aksel had moved with concern and caution as well but in the defence of Colette. The man realized Isabella had intentions of taking the girl away and for some strange reason he didn't want to allow it. He felt like he needed to protect her more than anyone else in the room. He felt like it was he was brought there, him being summoned to take up position on the council was just the undertone to it all.