Chapter Twenty- Six

It felt like a haze Colette thought opening her eyes which blurred over at the time. It took several seconds of her rubbing both lids into oblivion for her to get a grip of the world sitting right in front of her, yet still, the imagery of everything was foggy when she was done. The light seemed skewed and distant but she casts her gaze forward only to find the familiar, sylph-like figure that stood out at the balcony completely oblivious for some strange reason.

The way the hurdling, crisp breeze fanned against her body, exposing portions of her back and allowing her hair to fly was hypnotic. An excitement enveloped the brunette and immediately she ran to the opening but froze. Something was different; the manor looked different, the horizon looked unusual. She could hear water colliding against objects and there were even a few birds screaming their joys up high. 

Colette eventually caught a glimpse of crashing waves into the shore when she walked closer to the front of the balcony and the sight of it was pretty but she felt like she didn't know the place but admired it still.

The sea expanded for miles but she also saw other homes in the distance. These houses looked familiar but she also felt like it wasn't due to some quality she couldn't put her finger on.

Panning her gaze back to her majesty she realized the woman hadn't noticed her at all but instead stood glaring over the edge and it was why Colette approached, hugging her from behind. Her arms wrapped around Adira's torso as tight as it could, inciting the woman to flinch.

"I missed you so much!" Colette whispered, pushing her face into the slender back. She inhaled and was hit with a mixture of sweet spices, it was different but she liked it.

"You took so long to come get me!" The girl fussed but was met with the same silence as before. Adira didn't turn around or say anything but stood with her back facing her.

"Isabella has been awful to me," Colette grumbled. She knew she was exaggerating but in her mind, she felt like the older deal devil did mistreat her. Isabella was a miserable person who loved passing orders and despite being secluded for several hours she was with there in that unknown land the walls weren't that thick and she heard lots of things: Isabella passing orders, the help in the house talking about her, a woman crying, the devil asking for more wine.

Eventually, after some seconds of stillness, Colette and did gain a response from her majesty.

"And how has she been awful to you?"

Colette frowned. She pulled away from the queen but the woman still stood with her back to her. The question was odd.

"She goes out of her way to make me uncomfortable, she says the most horrible things and when I ask to leave she chuckles and hits me with 'the council appointed me as your guardian until a verdict was agreed upon."

"I see."

"I'm so glad you brought me home though, I don't know if I could've spent another second around that woman, she's so.....peculiar."

Colette finally turned Adira to her, she placed both hands on the woman's taut arms and she spun around.

Bold, cat-like amber eyes shone down into her emeralds and something about them was different. They seemed to contour as a result of a smirk on Adira's face. Colette liked it, whenever the queen was in her playful mood but there was something about that mood today.

"Who eats mangoes with the outer skin?" Asked the brunette, completely disregarding the look of curiosity on Adira's face.

"Apparently your mother does," the girl answered her question.