Chapter Twenty- Five

Petra sat quietly observing Edas as he drank eagerly from the third human Alaia presented to him minutes before. Since the issue at the citadel late yesterday evening, the vampire came to the couple's aid as Edas' friends fled the scene after Adira attacked him and her revenants went after the others and everyone else like ravenous beasts.

The vampire listened to the young human's heavy groans and how they filled the still room. The way he writhed in pain caused the vixen to wince after noticing the depth of which Edas' fangs sunk into his wrist and forearms. Visibly, the blood from within the human's once supple skin was sucked out, leaving him looking paler by the seconds.

The dark blue veins protruded beneath his flesh, dark circles appeared beneath his eyes and his cheeks fell inwards as the vitality was snatched from within him ever so slowly.

"Alright that's enough Edas," stated Petra and it was obvious she was uncomfortable seeing the human die.

For some strange reason the thought of watching him die only caused thoughts of Beth to race through her mind. She knew the girl would've been disappointed in her which was why she felt like she needed to say or do something other than watch. Normally she would've encouraged such viciousness but it was different now. However, the look on Edas' face told her that he wasn't in favour of her compassionate side especially when he was feeding.

During the height of him nearly killing the human, the man's skin and other injuries had long healed but so slowly he continued to dip into the crimson fluid and he became fresher than usual.

Edas groaned listening carefully to the bones that did not mend snap back into place. It felt amazing when each joint and juncture fitted back neatly. It was intriguing Petra thought, observing the man and how he seemed to glow from the blood he ingested. His usual caramel skin was fresher, younger and she felt a sadness that enveloped her at his presence.

She felt like she was missing out being that she hadn't taken from a human in over a month. It wasn't that she messed being a threat to people or that she missed the kill but she missed the socialization aspect but didn't dare let it show despite both people in the room noticing her after she turned down a drink. Everyone knew she never turned down such an offer, ever.

When Edas was finally finished he glared up at her, his lips smudged by the crimson fluid he indulged in moments prior.

The look on her face when they locked glares caused the man to roll his eyes and even then Petra was still amused– she was sure her old friend managed to read her thoughts through her expressions.

"I could've died, Petra." He decided to say knowing exactly what sort of thoughts were running through her mind. They did not speak about the incident ever since it happened but the air was loitered with words so heavy they were nearly tangible. Everyone knew Petra always had the most to say at times and would often expect it.

"And whose fault was it that you almost died?" Asked the vixen tilting her head to the side. She was amused and her friend gave her a reason to be. She never thought there'd be a time when Adira would show her hostility to anyone in that manner but there they were with Edas nursing several broken bones, a ruptured eye socket, a shattered knee and broken arms later.

"I told you, didn't I?" Petra paused, eyeing the way the human barely breathed. "But no, you decided to be a stupid bitch and taunt Adira knowing she was already in a hostile mood. You fucked around, you acted like a clown but she showed you who was the entire circus,"

"I will be honest, I did not foresee her lashing out in front of everyone like that. I thought I was going to leave her worked up just a bit but the outcome went a little further than planned,"