Chapter Forty- Nine

The news throughout dozens of countries was flooded by proof of obscure apparitions and imagery of beasts: four-legged, crawling, winged, horned, or human-like that seemingly arrived from nowhere. People saw these things, crawling to the shores of beaches while the sun had set, or crawling from the depth of the darkness as night fell— the point is that they saw these things live and direct.

There were videos, countless evidence of sightings of mythical beings all over, all uploaded onto multiple social media platforms within that hour, the time it took the vampires and their followers to reveal themselves worldwide.

They fought with each other it seemed, an unprecedented brawl of supernatural versus supernatural to which no one winner had emerged.

On other sides of cities, states, countries, the coordinators of the war broke into people's homes and murdered them in cold blood. Some of the powerless were saved for later as their assailants were too busy committing diabolical acts to savour them at the moment. Bound, gagged and chained, the humans were rounded up or left in the presence of something far more powerful and sinister than them.

It was a revolution, this wonderful hour but not for humanity, no, humans were excluded out of this space. They were viewed as commodities in the planning of the end of the world rather than a consort. They were regarded as less than, livestock and before the eyes of many, they were rounded up as such.

Buildings crumbled at the hands of the terrible, for the first time in history humans saw that they truly weren't the only sentient life on earth. Giants paraded, the creatures of the dark lurked in the light now, vampires came with their stinging bites, wolves tore through people like a machete doing its work on tall weed, the elves tried every potion and spell they knew that would bring peace. Everyone did their share, whether to quell or to perpetuate, they all did something.

Amid the havoc, the police and other prominent law enforcement establishments who weren't allowed to wail defeat warned people to stay in their homes, howbeit, mankind was a melting pot of responses: too stubborn to adhere to the requests, too weak to adhere or too oblivious to care.

Some people blatantly refused to believe such things existed because they didn't encounter them personally, another percentage thought it was a local hoax, a sick joke put on by the police department and other puerile residents in their areas or even the government to coverup something sinister. A small percentage of the people in these rural and urban communities worldwide heeded the warnings and stayed home. They barred their windows and doors, they retired to, if they had any, their basements or panic rooms, shutting themselves away. And that was just a small percentage.

Some just didn't. They chose to unabashedly defy orders, to wander the streets with their privately owned glocks in groups of tens, feeling powerful until they encountered the true power that made them an example to the ones who shielded themselves away. It was impossible to fight the undead, as most of the creatures that walked the streets already faced death and came out victorious. 

And for those that didn't stay put, they truly felt the brunt of the coup. Monsignor John of the cathedral downtown was guilty of the latter. He opened his church's door to the people when warned against it. He welcomed them, showered them with his denial of the issue when the news was broadcast that some parts of their city and town were being stormed by supernatural forces.

The man felt in that moment, that it was his time to show grace and create a haven for the religious and non-religious to turn to despite. He thought the act was what was expected of him and that God would cast his eyes upon his children and spare their lives but little did he know that god too fought in this war. They were fighting for those in the heavens and hoped that the people they'd influenced down below would keep mankind safe.