Chapter Seventeen

Isabella crossed her legs, slowly tapping her finger against the wooden surface of the long table. She observed her delinquent child and how she avoided eye contact, she felt nothing but resentment over the situation and how her blood boiled and boiled. The woman, trying to quell her anger and hatred cast her gaze around the room, locking eyes with a young girl she believed to be this human they spoke of and like her offspring, this intimidated creature averted her eyes to the floor just seconds after their gaze had locked. Isabella was pleased, at least this thing knew her place, unlike....unlike that wretched offspring of hers.

"I have things I need to say," said Isabella, her voice was so clear and crisp and the vicinity was so quiet, her voice rang out like a preacher's in a quiet chapel where the congregation sat in humble silence. It was as if the occupants were treading around her like she was eggshells.

"And what I have to say, it is about the way these people of nobility conduct themselves, so shamelessly and so averse to following orders. Who do any of you think you are?" The woman's voice, tangled with her archaic accent rang in the atmosphere even louder but she spoke so effortlessly. She was confident and comfortable taking the podium at the hearing and all realized. And in terms of her inquiry, it was a general question, not intended to be a personal attack to any but some took it as such. Some twisted their faces in distaste and hostility, others agreed with her questions in regards to conduct, the rest were undecided about which route to follow.

"You lot run around acting like privileged children and this is why the council was created in the first place, to always put those who want to be treated as gods or think they're gods, in line. This organisation was founded to take the power away from those who wanted to exalt themselves, this council was founded to instil order where there is chaos and we will do just that."

"No one should have full power to do anything, not to disregard our presence, not to cause wars or strifes among each other, especially not to apprehend their former lover because they saw it fit. No situation should be overlooked, ever. No one should have any sort of privilege, not any of you." The deal devil gazed at the colourful crowd. They each felt like she was looking them in the eyes individually, the woman had that power, to make you feel seen even in an ocean of people.

"Not even you, my dear, have the power to do as you please," the devil said to her daughter.

"Not any other self-proclaimed or appointed potentate, no chiefs, no one should have full power! So my proposition here this wonderful evening, to settle this dispute, this senseless rivalry that has been brewed and kept brewing is to kill everyone who started and or continued the drama," said Isabella and the entire room of people gasped.

"Christ," Adira mumbled, softly cradling her forehead. She knew her mother was an extremist but to suggest mass murder was something she never expected.

"Call it unethical if you wish but it would be effective in swaying the minds of those dunces if any contemplates perpetuating this buffoonery."

"You can't kill everyone and call it an effective method of handling the issue, councilwoman Isabella. You'd be killing your child in the process, does that not concern you?" Questioned Iradessa.

The solemn woman arched a scarred brow and besides it, there was no other indicator that the woman was not stone.

"What does Adira being my daughter have to do with my sense of judgement? Does recognizing the line between right and wrong end at my child? Should I disregard what is right because of my child or should I also want her to feel the consequences of her actions?"

"You're twisting my words," replied Iradessa.

"Am I, or was I just pointing out that this system we created is also flawed?"