Chapter Ten

The revenants were alerted by Adira that while she slept, Colette and Oliver went missing. The concerned woman threw a fit, she cursed at the lackadaisical people for even allowing such a thing to happen first to begin with. She subsequently instructed them, with stringent orders, to find the two young adults and be sure to find them unscathed or they too would feel her wrath along with the mischievous duo.

"How can they just leave?" She questioned Noah amid his peers, amid his colleagues. The man's eyes were everywhere but to the queen's face.

"We were asleep, your majesty. We didn't expect that they'd do something like that,"

The queen paced the room, combing her fingers through her raven hair, panicking. Why would Colette and Oliver leave? Where could they have possibly gone in the middle of the night? She planned to chide both young adults when she found them and it was a promise.

"You lot were asleep? I see," she mumbled to herself.

"They will find them don't worry," McLean stated. "They probably didn't go far,"

"But why?"

"That I cannot answer," he replied.

"Colette knows there's danger out there, and it lurks everywhere. Oliver knew better than to allow her to take him out of these walls— and I'm inclined to believe the mastermind wasn't him at all."

"Who was tending the gate?" The woman's voice rang out again in the quiet room. A woman at the far end of the assembled revenants decided to put her hand up.

"I swear, your majesty," she started to say quietly. "I did not expect for the young ones to leave, I sincerely apologise,"

Adira noted the fear in the woman's eyes and tone, she trembled, too scared to look up into her face and scrutinizing the room, the queen realized none of the revenants was to be blamed. They, just like herself was subject to exhaustion and therefore required rest. It was no one's duty to babysit her girl and young revenant but it didn't mean the situation would be overlooked.

"Just go with the others and assist in finding them, they should be close,"

"You could always find them yourself," said McLean. He whispered to the queen, following her around as she paced.

She was livid.

Adira knew what she could and couldn't do, but she avoided breaching people's privacy just because she could. No one liked being watched and observed every second of the day, no one liked being traced and sought out from within their world and it's why the woman didn't feel comfortable using that ability of hers. Plus, she felt it in her gut that Colette was okay and when she found the mischievous little thing, she planned to spank her ass purple for worrying her like that.

Taking a seat by the table in the dining hall, the woman cradled her head in her hand. She waited and she waited. Mclean stayed with her, Isaac and Samuel along with the others searched the estate and the nearby towns but before any of the people could return, the mischievous duo barged through the doors flustered and dishevelled and immediately Colette ran to Adira. The woman's stern face did frighten the girl but it didn't stop her from wrapping her arms around the queen's torso and squeezing her tight.

"I'm so sorry," she mumbled, squeezing Adira to her shaking body. The queen wanted to succumb to being held but she was still so mad.

"You had me worried, Colette," the queen pulled her away, she gazed in her face. "What got into you, why would you leave this place so late?" The woman turned her attention to Oliver. "And you, why didn't you try to stop her?"