Chapter Thirty- Two

The spade dragged against the charred concrete with quick scoops as the vampires hurried to get as many remnants into the little wooden chest beside them. The way they moved was as if they could tell spading the man's accursed ashes would bring them years of bad karma, but they persevered, gagging as they did.

The smell of burnt flesh and hair filled their nostrils as they heaped the ashes on top of each other, some spilling from the sides of the little black chest the deal devils brought specifically for the perished revenant.

Among the few faces who had witnessed the man's final moments was Calais and she was the only one with hidden scepticism on the matter but she observed in abject silence. She watched as her brother Castiel and another vampire cleaned the area in which they'd burnt the man alive.

Unlike her counterparts in the shared vicinity who had smug, satisfied expressions on their faces, she felt a doom in the depths of her being she couldn't particularly share for fear of condemnation. The girl felt this inescapable doom the moment the white-haired man muffled his cries as the fire melted his flesh from his bones, she saw it in the hollowness of his blue, sunken eyes as he groaned and wailed.

Now that doom was insurmountable, pressing against her stomach as if something or someone was squeezing her intestines Calais wanted it abated; she continued to watch them scrape Mclean's ashes up nonetheless.

"Who's gonna be the one to take it to her?" The vampire with the magenta coloured eyes swallowed enough of her pride to question. She didn't bother to look up but kept her eyes to the dark spot on the floor where charred bits of the man remained.

"It doesn't matter who takes it, just as long as Adira gets the message."

"And have any of you thought this through?" The girl questioned and was met with curious glances from her brother, Alaia and of course Edas himself. She glared back at them but with less certainty and fierceness.

"Have you thought of how this will affect us?"

The people were confused she of all people was questioning the situation. Several hours before she spewed how much she hated the revenants and all those who clung to Adira and the demented's side, now her vocabulary was portrayed differently.

"You don't trust our new friends, Calais? Don't you trust the friends we have on the council? The perfect plan? Armageddon?"

"It's not that I do-"

"Our kind has wanted, no craved superiority for years, we've ached for power in ways that we never thought was possible and now that it has fallen into our laps, now that we're days, weeks away from getting our reward you have concerns?" Asked the man.

The girl's brother and the other vampire at his side picked up Mclean's clothing they'd stripped from his body along with the black ring that once sat on this right middle finger. They put his apparel separate from the rest of him.

"I'm... I'm just concerned now because how many of us will die just so the lord's and ladies among us would get to keep their positions? Just so half the council could get away with the wicked things they do, just so we enslave the humans or worse we should put our lives on the line just so some mischievous deal devils could rebel against the creators?"

"Who said anything about nobility keeping their positions? Who said we will die or anything would remain as it is?" Edas grinned.

He knew what the deal devils and their masters planned; every structure was going to be turned upside down, the lesser-than among all species would become the rightful rulers of their kind and life would be free from the constraints of the fallible divine. He was promised wealth and power and all those with him would be rewarded just the same for their valiance and obedience. Nothing was going to be the same but first, they needed to get the threats out of their way and he vowed to never let anyone stop him.

"All I'm trying to say is I don't want to do all this for nothing. I don't want to waste my life fighting for some unattainable cause," replied Calais. She'd started to leave the room but stopped short.

"By the way, Adira will go nuts once she realized what happen and then none of us is safe, especially you," the girl turned to Edas and at that moment his jaw flexed as he clenched it.

Calais was right but the man wasn't concerned about Adira, he had friends, he had protection and security and he was ready. They didn't spend weeks planning, watching, waiting for the right moment just for him to funk out.

"Some may say that it isn't personal to one man, the devils say it's for the greater good that we're doing this but for me everything is personal. Adira was responsible for Lister's death, she's responsible for Petra's hesitance, for skewing her mind into becoming a human lover, for breaking her, she's responsible for nearly killing me,"

"But it was all planned, at least you getting stomped into the earth so why are you even mad?"

The man scoffed. He was just that type of person. He had no genuine reason to hate Adira because, the woman had never interfered with him, but he never liked her. So one could imagine his excitement when out of nowhere beings from the heavens came to disclose her existence was linked to the end of the current world as they knew it, he just couldn't resist channelling the hatred he felt. Now it fueled him, it was all he had, all he could find to keep him as a part of the end of the world, to secure him with even more preeminence.

"You'll take it to her," responded Edas after his rumination.

He stood beside his wife, allowing his face to fall against her where his nose dragged against the bare flesh of her shoulder.

The girl Calais frowned. "What?"

"You're so concerned about who'd take it to Adira, I think it should be you. It makes sense," he grinned.

"Here," he added after silence inundated the vicinity. The man pulled out a piece of paper with the revenant queen's current address.

"It has been confirmed, she and the girl would be there expecting Mclean, take him to her. Oh and avoid getting killed, wouldn't want to lose you so soon,"

The instruction lingered as the vampire slowly accepted her fate. Her brother, done with scooping up the man's ashes, studied his sister's concerned face. He wished she'd kept her mouth shut but she didn't and now his protective side jumped out in full swing; he didn't want Calais risking her life, he didn't want her to be harmed by the woman he knew was going to be aggrieved, so he did what felt like the right thing to do.

Quickly he shuts the chest that contained Mclean's ashes and hard enough for all eyes to fall to him. "I'll take the ashes instead." He stated unexpected to all.

Castiel eventually threw the spade down and walked over to Edas, snatching the piece of paper from him.

"I'll take it," the vampire reiterated.

Licking his tongue ain't his sharp fangs, the man with the diamond-encrusted teeth studied the purple-eyed siblings with intrigue.

"Be sure to take it before the sun raises,"

"I'm aware of the plan,"

"Good," answered Edas. He and his wife left the room and behind were the two siblings exchanging looks of silent horror.

×

I apologize for the long wait... I got som'n for y'all in the next chap tho👀