Chapter Fifteen

It was in the afternoon, closer to the evening hours when they arrived at this place that looked like it could be straight out of a harry potter series. And when they arrived at this arcane citadel, the sky hung with a magenta and orange twang that rippled through the clouds as the sun dipped low around the earth. The spring breeze whistled as it dashed through the clothes and tendrils of those incessantly filling the ground.

A myriad of people came out of cars and or the air traversing in pairs or alone slowly to the huge building that sat like a colossal on the verdant lands. Was it an old castle? Was it even real? Colette was genuinely intrigued as she neared the cobbled stones that stacked high. The many towers sitting, extending to the heavens were massive and the girl wondered what would cause the existence of such a huge place and when could such beauty had been established?

In addition to the mind-blowing architecture, she couldn't help but admire the people from all corners of the globe she had never seen before. They bumped into her as she walked beside the queen. A woman appeared out of nowhere causing the brunette to flinch at the way the air was manipulated and skewed.

The countless invitees and preeminent forces muttered in indistinct languages, many sounding unreal and made up to the brunette's unaccustomed ears and she was so fascinated.

"People can do that?" She asked, observing the people who appeared out of nowhere. She was in awe yet still so terrified.

"Yes, I can do that you too," revealed her majesty.

Colette gasped. "And you never told me?"

"I don't talk about my powers a lot,"

"I can tell but that's fricken cool, oh my gosh,"

The raven head grinned at her excited girl, she did her best to make Colette feel distracted and calmed during that time and so far it seemed to work. They were nearing that point Adira dreaded for the past several weeks and she exhaled and inhaled several times, calming her nerves first before she tried to calm her girl's or the others and she thought it was a good idea.

Overwhelmed by the rush now, Colette clutched Adira's taut arm close to her body the second they started showing up inside that building. The girl tried to distract herself by taking in the odd candelabras and ceilings and statues of obscure dead people but the tension in the air was too palpable, too tangible and so thick it could strangle one if you didn't have the right propensity to endure it.

Adira, being the good-natured person she was, noticed the girl's discomfort and she reassured her.

"Relax it'll be over before you know it,"

"You promise?"

The queen gave her hand a reassuring squeeze. "I promise," However, she knew she was lying but did her best to not make it obvious. The last council hearing she attended last almost a week but she wouldn't share that bit of information at all.

Colette's emeralds continued to take in the array of people as they all travelled the large halls: they were tall, short, pudgy, slim, bald, hairy, brown, black, white, they had dark eyes, no eyes, vibrant eyes, vibrant skin, long nose, sharp nose, flat noses, noses with undefined bridges, they wore ethnic clothing, long clothing, scaled, not scaled, small, big. The brunette ogled at the colourful crowd of people who bustled through the building, efficiently easing through the second barrier meant to keep out all those who weren't welcomed.

This barrier to the unaccustomed eye would seem invisible, clear as water and at first, it appeared that way to Colette but when she sauntered over to that section of the citadel, she saw it, that blue hue. It glinted like crystals, clumping like spiderwebs against the opening of all the doors. When she slipped past it, to which she was expecting not to, it left a tingle on her skin and for a second she could see the markings of her tattoos as they started to glow.