Chapter Six

Their usual early morning cuddles started the second Colette's green eyes popped opened to see the tall figure stretched beside her. She was often the one to attempt, first thing in the mornings that she and the queen were like siamese twins, conjoined at the hips and loving every second of it. That morning, the girl decided to poke the woman's cheek until her heavy lids fluttered open. Adira chuckled at the notion of Colette waking her up like that, her small finger jabbing at her face until she was fully awake.

"You were snoring," Colette lied and even the queen caught wind of it.

She scoffed playfully.

"I think we both know who's the true criminal that snores between us,"

Both the women's eyes found the ginger and white-coated animal who snuck her way into the room when they were both unaware. Together Adira and Colette cackled. Lottie rose, her tail wagged quickly as she observed the women.

"She's just joking pumpkin," Colette tried to reassure

"I'm not," Adira replied, rolling over to coddle the brunette to her warm body.

Colette pinched her majesty and she gasped. "What's that for?"

"For smelling like a distillery last night,"

Adira groaned. She sighed when the memories came back. She didn't physically regret consuming the alcohol but she was sorry she had so much that it knocked her out cold while she and Colette were about to get busy.

"I apologise,"

"Something's bothering you, isn't it?" Whispered the brunette.

There were several seconds of silence before her majesty decided to share her feelings and thoughts.

"I'm concerned..about many things,"

"And you're sad aren't you?"

Colette stared into her warm eyes and Adira faked a smile.

"I'm concerned." She simply reiterated.

"About the fire and the people that died? About how you'll fix the situation?"

"Yes,"

"I promise, I'm here to help you." Said the quiet voice. "We did talk about it last night and we did agree going to the council would be wise just in case you forgot,"

"I'm aware of our conversation,"

"Good," said Colette. "But I'm just curious, will it be hard convincing everyone to show up now that you want to go?" The girl asked, feeling Adira's heartbeat quietly as her head eventually laid on her chest.

"They have no other choice but to follow my orders," Adira answered groggily. She brushed her palm across the girl's arm. Colette's fingers, in return, traced over the freckles on her naked chest. Her skin was warm to the touch and smooth, it was difficult at the time for the girl, she couldn't believe Adira was nearly seven hundred years old. But there she was, her skin far more supple than Colette's own could ever be and she wasn't even mad about it.

The brunette tried not to be too captivated by Adira, instead, she focused on the conversation she struck up out of curiosity.

"How long do you think it would take for everyone to agree to it?"

The queen sighed. She closed her eyes and for a moment and pretended that it was her and Colette alone in the world just to avoid her problems. And in this fairytale world of hers, everything was perfect. There was no council, no stupid vampires causing trouble, no disobedient revenants but just she and her girl—how the woman wished to make that maladaptive dream a reality.