Chapter Fifty- One

It wasn't hard explaining to Beth what transpired throughout the town, city, state, country, countries, continents. The girl had already known, of the supernatural, of the rivalry, about deal devils, Adira and vampires, Colette and the Avalon, about the attacks on humans, about them being rounded up, monitored, eaten, killed. The only thing that was difficult for the woman to do was convince Beth to stay where it was safe and void of danger; that was the hardest thing ever because after nearly minutes of a back and forth, her attempting to leave, the girl wouldn't accept what needed to be done.

"But you're going out there?!"

Questioned the wide-eyed blonde. She held onto Petra's hand, so desperate so afraid. If the woman hadn't been used to the strength her body possessed, she would've been concerned about the girl's grip. She was strong for a small person and effortlessly so.

"I'm going out there to get your family, Beth. You know this," slowly whispered Petra.

"My dad has guns, ya know, tons of them. He was in the army, my mother's familiar."

Petra closed her eyes and sighed at the notion the girl tried to paint to her. So what if her middle-aged parents had guns? So did the countless beings that filled the earth. They had weapons far more dangerous, some of them were weapons themselves, so what could a few privately owned gewehr 98 and a few Smith and Wessons do against the supernatural? And on that note, the woman pondered, how could she stop this? This obstinate spirit the girl had, especially when those fuckers were out there tearing shit up?

"You do not understand how severe this is, how deadly this is.."

"I know that it is enough to scare you,"
The woman studied the girl's nervous face. "I know that it is enough to make the whole world tremble and go in a state of panic. I've seen the footage, Petra. I've seen it like the millions of others worldwide. It's horrible and you're afraid of it too. Why then would you go out there?"

"Because.." paused the vampire. "I want you to have your family here where I can protect them along with you,"

"I've already told you, my family, is safe,"

"For how long?" Asked Petra and Beth frowned.

"I know what this is about, you don't need to pretend, Petra,"

There was silence as both women regarded each other. Petra, after several long seconds of looking at Beth, broke her vision away, frowning while she was at it.

"I know you want to go, I know it itches, the urge to be there. I may be many things but never oblivious in the face of the obvious. Ever since those men," Beth paused as she intended to correct herself. "Ever since that man, your brother showed up, I saw that you were torn apart. You didn't say but I knew you wanted to talk about it but not with me. After the call with Colette, I saw it too. She asked you to talk with that lady and something clicked during the conversation,"

"Yeah," replied the vampire. Her eyes shone as the light reflected, it shone like there was an orb floating around inside. It was pretty amazing how her brown eyes could look like molten chocolate one minute and then as light as honey the next.

"Yeah, I want to be there but I don't know where that is. I didn't plan this so I feel like it is not my place to take part in it. The vampires are my people by socialisation and death, but home and familiarity have always been with Adira. I feel like I'd betray the other if I ever picked sides and that's eating me up,"

"But your brother, you care about him. Couldn't that care be enough to choose a side, his side?"

"I'd be choosing Adira's side,"