Chapter Eight

Colette entered the office space and was surprised that neither people hunched over the desk realized she was there. They were unheeding, which gave her ample time to walk around the room either observing them or touching the queen's belongings.

The older revenant in the vicinity spoke quietly she soon realized.

"I did contact most of the men earlier this morning your majesty and they have announced their compliance,"

"Did any give you a hard time?"

"There was one,"

Adira perked her brow, her face in the direction the man was and at her glare he knew what came next.

"I will have a talk with this person once I am done here,"

He nodded.

Colette eventually snuck up behind Adira and Mclean, watching as the queen continued to scribble against a piece of paper. There was no point in her trying to read any of what the woman wrote because as per usual, her vocabulary was expressed in French, however, there were a few words the girl recognized. The words conseil and réponse weren't that hard to translate.

"You're responding to the council aren't you?" She asked rhetorically and Adira rose her face to her. Amber eyes smiled when they became cognizant Colette was there. The woman's olive-brown visage softened, the creases between her brows disappeared and the indentations around her mouth revealed themselves when she grinned. And oh how that beautiful smile of hers always affected the girl.

"Good morning, and sadly, yes. I've decided to get it out of the way as early as possible." She said, her accent blessed the girl's ears and even after three months of incessantly hearing it Colette's stomach somersaulted.

"Initially, she wanted to ignore them," chimed McLean. "But thanks to you she's doing what's right,"

Adira straightened her posture, crossing her taut arms against her chest. "What's right would be me cutting the heads off the bodies of Edas and his gang of immoral friends,"

"Easy now, tiger," Said Colette. She recognized the hatred in the woman, she recognized her grief and anger at the massacre that occurred two days prior, she even shared similar emotions but she didn't want her majesty going around spewing such violent things. Deep down the girl knew a barbaric wasn't who Adira was, no she was a gentle and kind soul.

"It is true, I would take his life if that was the morally acceptable thing to do, unfortunately, I know better than to pour gasoline on a raging fire,"

Colette stepped closer and playfully pinched her cheek. "That's my girl," she praised.

Mclean descried the queen melt like an ice cube left out in the open, she was giddy and blushing, she allowed Colette to embrace her and it was a thing to behold. He was close to the woman and for hundreds of years and not once had he seen his queen like that, not even the flamboyant vampire he knew well was ever able to do such things to the queen. The older revenant, quite like everyone else was glad that Adira found her person. He was glad that Colette meant well and that she left Adira susceptible because it was about time her majesty found love and settled down.

"So when are we going?" Asked Colette.
She watched the queen finish the rest of the letter and handed it to McLean. He carefully folded the paper and tucked it into an envelope then placed it in his briefcase. Both prominent figures in the room studied the girl.

"I told them we'd be ready for the hearing early next week,"

"Oh? That was quick," the girl took a seat across from the desk. She picked up the woman's glasses and placed them over her eyes, grimacing at the blur of everything and how close up they were. Adira's sight was that bad?