Chapter Thirty- Nine

The elegant clicking of heels the girl often heard in the past as she laid within the walls of her room waiting to be visited by her muse sounded. They were faint at first but became clearer as her majesty travelled to the chamber and so did the girl's agitation. Colette became anxious; how long had it been since she and the woman talked?

In her half tired, half "I've cried for hours" state, she perked up from beneath the covers the second the door creaked open.

The woman's tall frame stood there with the streams of light illuminating her and like a divine sculpture, a true woman of nobility and wonders and how her beauty was a sight to behold. She did wear grief well thought the girl. Adira looked leaner, stricter and at one point she thought it was impossible that her majesty could be more beautiful but she realized in that instant how that wasn't true; the woman's beauty had no bounds.  

Colette fought instincts, she didn't want to look her majesty in the face but allowed herself after several seconds and was met with concern.

"You ran off last night," said the soothing voice.

"You were busy basking in the praises of your subjects," retorted the girl, quietly sniffling afterwards. "You were also too busy to come see where I went,"

"I had eyes on you, doesn't mean I'm not annoyed you chose to run off,"

Colette feigned a smile. "Of course."

"Can I come in?" Adira's voice was soft and her question was a genuine one and in response, Colette contemplated. A part of her wanted to tell the woman no but the other, greater half said otherwise.

Gesturing for her to sit and as the woman neared, Colette scooped Lottie up from the bed and pulled her closer, giving Adira ample space to sit.

There was a moment's silence as the revenant queen sat but that quietness fleeted when she chided herself to speak on why she was there.

"I'm sorry,"

"Well," chuckled Colette. "I'm intrigued as to why you feel the need to apologize,"

"I've disappointed you and I'm aware that I may have also hurt you significantly deeper," said the woman.

"I've been aware ever since we came back that my actions and my words or lack thereof have upset you; I'm aware that the things that happened in the last 48 hours have impacted you greatly,"

"I don't think you understand," said Colette. The tears she thought had settled bubbled and with a fresh vengeance reminding her that she didn't cry enough. "You don't understand how awful I feel and not just at the misunderstanding between us but about everything,"

"I'm sorry," whispered Adira.

"You declared war, Adira and the fact that you calculated this within your mind scares me. You invited a shit ton of people who you knew would spread your word,"

"I said what the people wanted to hear, Colette. They were only invited to mourn with me but I knew they'd want to test me to see if I'm still the revered queen they remember,"

"Oh, so your promises were broken after all?" Asked the girl.

"Yes," her majesty lied and it pricked at her chest knowing that she had to. She saw just how much Colette questioned her response but for now, it was best if the only person she protected was her love.

"How do you think the revenants, their friends, your allies will respond?"

"However I tell them to respond,"

"Spoken like a true, autocratic leader,"

"I'd be careful of the things I say if I were you," Adira warned. Despite her love and admiration of Colette, she'd never tolerate such subtle disrespect, ever.