Chapter Thirteen

"Adira? Is she someone bad?" Beth asked. She'd gotten up from the bed and pulled her shorts around her waist again. She didn't like the look on Petra's face because it churned her stomach, crawled her skin and left her palms sweaty but she ignored it. On the other end, Petra felt pity. Pity because the poor girl had no clue of the drama she was in the centre of along with someone close to her.

The vampire, standing still, her mind drifting off into that void where the past repeated itself, ruminated.

"If I'm being honest, no, Adira isn't a despicable being,"

"Why would she put a seal on you then? And a witch's seal at that? Also, does it mean she's a witch?"

"She's a lot of things but bad, not inherently good either. It's hard to describe what Adira is— she's complicated. She's somewhat of a sorceress, a mage, a daughter of a powerful woman, a demigod some say."

"A demigod?"

Petra nodded.

"Okay, that's a lot to take in if I'm being honest but I'll try. I have questions, numerous questions." Answered the small figure whose eyes flickered with an amalgamation of interest and fear. Beth tried to hide it, of course, tucking it beneath her feigned resolve when truly she was quaking on both inside out.

"So was it you who did something bad?" she questioned quietly.

Petra glared at her from the distance she stood. "You said before that you believed in the mystery of the universe and life and that humans aren't the only sentient beings who inhabit this place, right?"

Beth nodded.

"So what if I told you this woman who marred me with her seal wasn't entirely human, would you believe me?"

The silence that greeted them came with many facial expressions. The vampire descried the girl's confusion, but Beth tried to let the information—did she believe in the supernatural or was she just saying all of that because? Would she believe if anything was revealed? Would she be valiant or scared? Was Petra pulling her leg?

"What is this woman, is she like a mythical creature?"

"Not mythical but real, alive, breathing. She's a woman of nobility, a nobility she acquired because of the things she's capable of but even if she didn't acquire this respect, just the name she carries is one of power and preeminence."

"Is she affiliated with like magic, spells and stuff like that?"

Petra nodded. She picked up her shirt and slipped it over her torso again, hiding the seal along with the way her heart all so suddenly started beating.

"She's capable of so much, but in a simpler sense, she has the power to rescue damned souls, she bargains with them and for them and she brings them back to life,"

The young girl frowned. "Is she like a god or something?"

"She's a variation of beings known as deal devils, there's also pact angels but their attributes aren't as chaotic. In a similar sense, she's somewhat of a demigod like I mentioned,"

"Deal devils? Pact angels?" Beth repeated slowly, she did try her best to decipher if Petra was pulling her legs but quickly she realized the older woman told the truth. She didn't break out in laughter as she often did but there was despair and distress written on her brown face and it frightened the girl.

"Supernatural creatures are real?"

"I'm afraid so,"

Beth scratched her head. She chuckled nervously, placing a hand over her chest, feeling her heart as it pounded, like a hammer against wood, its movement was rapid and loud.