Chapter Forty- Eight

Almost the entirety of the hall before them was covered with bricks and other debris that fell from the sudden impact. The giant never stopped smashing his body to the wing they were in and it shattered everything before them. Even the earth trembled with each bang of his foot or fist to the concrete.

The menacing being grunted as he did the deed. He heaved as he dug his foot into the solid earth, pressing his body to clear away the columns in his way.

"Get out of the way," said Aksel and the man brushed past Adira and Colette to stand in front of them. At the moment he waited for this being to show themself, he rolled his sleeves over his forearms, exposing tattoos, ones almost similar to some of the imagery the brunette had seen about Adira's body.

It was uncanny thought the young woman. She never expected the older man to even have tattoos but truly she didn't know what to expect, she didn't know him like that, however, it was strange. She expected him to be this quiet person who only did archaic things like being traditionally sexist and misogynistic.

Nevertheless, she watched him as he did this thing of standing still as the giant was successful in clearing away the entire wall. Now, his formidable shoulders and body crashed into the clearing, and they were able to see him beneath what little light remained.

He fell forward, landing on his shoulder and cracking the tiled floor beneath him. It left a crater-like indentation there that told them of the magnitude of his weight.

"Arghhh!" The giant's deep voice growled, deafening their ears as he crawled to his feet.

He'd seen the three people standing amid the rubble but recognized only Adira. Seeing her reminded him of that day at the council when her mother embarrassed him before tens, hundreds of people.

A frown so thick, no one could've missed appeared on his bearded face, however, his grimace and visage resonated deeper with Adira for she recognized the councilman.

There were a few things different about him; he didn't wear his usual robe but was dressed in his native war attire. Markings of his status among his people popped from his skin due to the colourful paint.

Stunned by the strength of the man who thumped a piece of debris out of his way with just his feet, Colette wondered what Aksel had in store since he stood before him. There was no way either of them would be able to take down the man let alone the others that could be heard about the vicinity.

The revenants tried to hold them off with the countless guns that went off. War-like cries from the people being tackled or pushed out of the way by the giant's massive being filled the air.

So how was the older man going to get them away? She had no clue how he'd help but when she saw his head bent, it clicked that he was chanting something the entire time.

"Excaecati estis!" Whispered Aksel those words and stepped back, pointing his index and ring finger to the councilman's head. To the girl's wonderful surprise the man's fingers glowed, almost the same colour that would appear whenever the Avalon's spirit was awakened within her.

And how beautiful it was, those orbs that floated around Aksel.

Inevitably, the giant groaned, stumbling back out of sheer consternation and there Colette and Adira witnessed a white, almost foggy appearance scamper over his eyes, bringing to light his momentary blindness.

This white fog clouded his vision, causing him to fumble and trip over things in his way as he tried to feel his way around.

The councilman panicked, scratching and wiping his face violently. He even tried to swing his massive fists to where he'd seen the three people but to no avail— he only ended up hitting walls.