Chapter Forty- Five

"I don't know what you thought about me, but those assumptions you've made are wrong," said Aksel.

"I'm not going to sit here and preach peace to you, no, you've heard too much of that from what I've garnered. Reciprocation is the only thing that will end this and some would not agree. Let there be fire and bloodshed, let thy enemies know that you're not one to turn the other cheek anymore,"

Those words were not what the woman expected to hear but it was what she needed. Mclean would've never said such things to her and although she appreciated his servitude, this was what she needed to hear. She needed to face facts. To reclaim the title as the demon queen, the queen of revenants, queen of the ruthless, violence needed to be the answer because for there to be peace in the world there had to have been war and a period of turmoil before.

"You've tried to be civil for too long, Adira and I see that. You've been civil and rational for the sake of being inconspicuous but the time for that has passed. The people who want to see you destroyed for their gains have had it coming. They've never thought about the safety of their people or even yours,"

The woman stifled a smirk as she regarded the man. He was so cynical and one wouldn't expect that from a man who dressed as if he was a priest and one who couldn't even harm a fly.

"I was not expecting any of that, if I must be honest, Aksel," she confided. "Truly, I'm impressed,"

"You've judged me wrongfully. This reserved composure shouldn't fool you. Innately, I am a kind person, but that's only part of who I am. If me saying all this doesn't sell that I'm more than a quiet bookworm, then the fact that I'm familiar with your mother should. Isabella has never been a walk in the park, one needed valiance and a thick skin to pursue her. Sure she was nice, but she was also difficult,"

Queen Adira chuckled at the man's response. He wasn't wrong she thought. She'd seen her mother and Isabella wasn't the nicest thing to deal with. There were times she'd shock you with something considerate, but most of the time she was as lively as a rock.

"Thank you for your input on the situation. You've stated nothing but the hard truth to me and I appreciate the honesty."

"That's the least I can do. My only wish is that you start to educate your revenants now. Tell them of your plans, let them fortify their vicinities because, from my calculations, the vampires and the others will hit them all simultaneously. The place that will be hit the hardest will be where you and the girl reside." The man fiddled with his hat that lay on the surface of the table. His brown eyes followed the ambers that observed him as he cast his gaze around the room, indicating nonverbally this was the place that would be hit the hardest.

Having taken heed to the man's words, Adira made notes in her little book and as she studied what she had so far, she was interrupted by the cellphone at the table.

The little thing ran somewhat loudly and she checked it to see that it was Colette who was calling in the middle of her conversation with Aksel.

"Is everything alright?" She asked the moment the lines crossed.

The woman got up from her seat and paced over to the windows that overlooked the rear of her estate. All the trees she saw, the lone hummingbird that flew against the flowers Colette had helped the staff to plant weeks ago flourished and they made her reflect. For the first time, the queen looked at them from such a different perspective. She looked on as if everything she saw would be wiped from the face of the earth.

"Adira." The young girl whispered. "Have you seen the news?" She questioned and the woman knew exactly what the girl was talking about.

The discovery of massive footprints, settlements, trees as tall as skyscrapers snapped and broken into countless pieces like toothpicks in the park nearly an hour away was brought to Adira's attention by her revenants. News of all that transpired reached her majesty way before the news stations and other agencies were aware. Just the day before the discovery of the hundreds of fish that had been found out of the water was brought to her through trusted sources.